When will we see a real use of processors?

Hello

I've been using Solidworks for 15 years, with more and more powerful PCs.

I notice that there is still no real consideration of multi-core processors in the basic functions. 

I do very little simulation and even less photoview.

For my part, it would be very relevant if a simple material removal used all the capabilities of the PC. Indeed, I have more and more to deal with scanned building files, which are therefore very heavy with several tens of thousands of bodies...  

And it's particularly infuriating to see that a big PC only uses 7% of its CPU to do a removal of material in 30 minutes

See example in PC

7pourcent_seulement.jpg
1 Like

Indeed, except for drawings, simulation, visualize no multicore management for parts and assembly. It's certainly due to the Solidworks Core... I don't know if it can change one day...

Amha, the problem is that the operations in the rooms are dependent on each other, so a parallelism of the treatment is difficult to set up.

2 Likes

@max59, That's what I'm criticizing, we have the impression that Solidworks has been dragging the same kernel since its creation... While PCs have become much more powerful. This gap means that we lose precious time waiting for the only heart solicited to do its work while the other 19 (in my case) do nothing...

Could a petition or requests for optimization from Dassault make things happen???

@stefbeno, I understand for functions in the context, when you have links between files. But for a simple removal of material without an external link (even in an assembly), or the registration of an assembly in parts, or an import of a big step (or other "simple" functions)... should be able to be done at a gallop...

Personally I think they will change

If the competition  becomes multi-core 

The fact is that I was able to test as well as a few colleagues

that a xeon is preferable with its ECC memory

@+ ;-)

Hello

Yes a little more multicore would be appreciated, yes PCs are getting bigger and bigger but we also ask them more and more and sometimes just to look "pretty" on the 3D... A "simple" user function is not necessarily a "simple" function in terms of calculation either...

Users also have their role to play on the performance of their PC, I sometimes did operations on my "small" laptop that others couldn't do on more powerful towers...

When I see the operating time of the PC on the image (3 days and 9 hours if I'm not mistaken) I already start by telling myself that I also have to restart this one from time to time, it purges a little bit all the temporary files and other miscellaneous things...

Kind regards

1 Like

@d.roger, I agree with you on the fact that the way of drawing/working also plays a lot on the performance. 

But for example, processing a step of a building that is 200MB takes me 10x longer than it should with multi-core use...

On the other hand, for the 3 days and 9 hours, it's a mystery to me. I have already reported this point to my info service (who did not answer me...), but my PC is turned off every day. This meter only resets to zero in case of restart, not if I turn it off in the evening and turn it back on the next day... Maybe due to Windows 10? If you have any information on this point, I'm interested. 

@gt22, I think you're right about the principle of competition. On the other hand, for the xeon, I'm less enthusiastic. For 15 years I've always had xeons, now, it's only been a few months that I've had an i9 and it's going much better. In my opinion, only the frequency of the CPU plays on the performance.

On my previous set, I had a xeon that went up to 3.6Ghz max, with the i9, I go to 4.3Ghz and the difference is good...

For the 3 days and 9 a.m. watch by ICI.

2 Likes

Thank you d.roger, the option is unchecked...

See these links

among others

https://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/nid-d-abeille?page=3

https://www.refsa.com/actualites/stations_de_travail_bim_cao_3d/

@gt22 Thank you for links, it's very informative.

However, my topic is only intended to "hope" to see Solidworks one day use the number of CPU cores more efficiently.

I'm just a little disappointed to see machines using 10% of their performance, and having to look for subtle SW or Win settings to hope to gain a little stability or a few seconds on functions lasting several minutes...

Hello

I'm probably going to repeat myself but the story of the multi-core is not necessarily the heart of the problem if I dare say so.

If you want to use multi-cores, it means that you have to be able to do parallel computing and that's not trivial at all. Because the gain must be greater than one second for it to be significant. And to do a massively parallel if you want to break up the calculation of each feature and put everything together to produce the final result is Kafkaesque.

The problem is that more than 80% ̈of the code is very old: even if they probably had to recompil to decompress the code.

Parallel computing is very complex and becomes unmanageable on ASMs that are a bit copious.

It is interesting to see that in the 2019 version there is a very clear improvement in display performance because they have optimized or rewritten parts of the code to take full advantage of the graphics card (also underused in design).

It is likely that it will rewrite parts of the code because there are many small bits of multi-cores since at least 2010 (especially at startup).

The real question is this! What is SW's concern ? Well, it's simple, just look at the overall offer.

First of all : large accounts or ETIs that can afford the different modules (which are very expensive). Small SMEs, small BEs, etc... even if they surely represent a significant part of their turnover is not their core target, since the basic offer (without simulation, optimization, etc... fits very well and at best people take PDM in addition.

But look at how collaborative is done in your own company, especially if you have PDM, it will inform you where the real sources of productivity are, sorry, we must say now what makes you agile (hihihihihi).

Second : B-to-B collaboration in every sense (and sometimes even if it doesn't make sense). Productivity would be achieved in a simplified exchange between partners and customer-suppliers, but we quickly come up against the heterogeneity of software and means of communication. How many times do you use a secure intranet with your customers and suppliers?

Thirdly SW is preparing for the disappearance of paper, the first victims of which are paper MEPs. In aeronautics (and in the automotive industry, which I don't know as well), they already use a lot of tablets or large touch screens instead of 2D plans, and 3D, from my point of view, simplifies a lot and considerably reduces the number of questions between partners.
We can see it on this forum where a simple 3D drawing submitted to us, is understood by everyone with great relevance. This would be less the case on 2D with layers or overall MEPs.

They want to get closer to the exchange philosophy of CATIA or other large software of this type.

Remember the hopes we had with the SW software which had fantasized about a completely rewritten and super optimized code (whose name I forgot and which we don't hear about anymore) and which in the end is really only used for pre-design, but especially not to do our daily work.

Good! I'm not far from retirement, so it's likely that the only PRO I'll  know of will be the one of our entire community and all the great people we don't meet there.

Kind regards