Access to save parts.prtdot

Hello @Tous

I updated this template but it refuses to update me.

On the pretext that I don't have the rights.

I'm in single-user and this file part.prtdot is read-only

I also created a PART GARPA.prtdot and there again no way to put it in the same place as the part.prtdot originally managed by SW. As a result, when I make a new part, he doesn't offer me the two possible models (the one for SW and the one for the company.

You have understood how to update the part.prtdot (same for ASM and MEP).

As these are functions that I am never interested in, I don't know how to do it anymore. :-)  :-) In addition, since this year I am no longer in maintenance so no access to the hot line.

Thank you in advance for your future help.

Kind regards

Hello zozo,

To answer your problem, you have to save the desired sw files as dot in the right search directory in the "default templates" options, and you will have the list of your affected files which must point to the right place for your dot files, so also you will have your update of your dot.

See attached screenshot.

Keep me informed.

@+

AR.

2020-06-24_153958.png
2 Likes

Hello A.R

Thank you for your help because I'm in trouble.

In the options I have this

C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS\lang\english\Tutorial\draw.drwdot

But in this case I want to register the part.prtdot

he tells me this

By the way, we wonder why it's in tutorial but hey. ;-)

Kind regards

2020-06-24_16_56_35-solidworks_premium_2019_sp5.0_-_part_garpa.prtdot.jpg

Well, I managed to create a garpa.prtdot in the same directory as the part.prtdot but by doing it from the WIndows file manager which told me that I had to have admin rights but I just had to say yes for it to work. (I must be in admin mod by default under W10)

I opened a new part and it suggests that I use either part.prtdot   or Garpa.prtdot in expert mode.

Having chosen Garpa.prtdot this made me create the part with the parameters I modified.

So before modifying the template for the MEP or the ASM, I would like to fix this problem of admin right but under SW rather than doing the DIY maneuver.

I have another problem but I'll tell you about it later  ;-)

Thank you for your help

Kind regards

Ha!!!! You have to see your network accesses, or put yourself as an administrator.

or see a computer scientist because network computing is 2 worlds...

or crushes hesitantly or changes path and in the options direct them to the right place.

I'll look tomorrow to see ...@+.

1 Like

Hello

Have you tried to launch Solidwork in administrator mode (right click on SolidWorks then run as administrator) if you don't have the option you have to go to your installation folder and see directly on the application (not the shortcut)

3 Likes

Good evening Zozo,

As you say@dpsindustriel3 you have to run in administrator mode. 

You should also check that the folder containing the solidworks models is not read-only.

Cdlt

3 Likes

Hello ZOZO,

Have you had time to throw away or test your dot file update?

@+.

AR

Rather than tinkering with specific (and therefore protected) Windows/SW directories, I prefer to create directories in a known, easily accessible (not at the bottom of a tree) and "saveable" place.

Since I have to manage both versions and clients, I have a tree like this:
- SW2017
    - Customer 1
    - Customer 2
    -colours
        + 1 customer colors
    -Materials
        + 1 customer materials
        + 2 customer materials
    - Welded construction profiles
- SW2018
    - Customer 35
    -customer...
    -colours
        + 35 customer colors
    -Materials
        + 35 customer materials
        + 50 customer materials
    - Welded construction profiles

Since all this is stored on a NAS, at the user machine level, I have a logical disk for business, one for the previous mess, etc

1 Like

Hello @tous

I'm working today on the subject of this post. ;-)

@stefbeno Thanks for the info, I'll do it like this, which will prevent me from being confused when I change versions of SW. Indeed I would like to recover an old model and it makes me feel sorry because it refers to a tree structure that no longer exists. Hence the interest in working in Admin mode among others.

So today I'm going to take everything back and put the PART, ASM and DRW models and using the ownership form.

I'll get back to you soon ;-)

Thank you to @tous for your precious help.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi all

Indeed you have to go into administrator mode.   Thank you @A.R and @dpsindustriel3 and of course @yannick.little

On the other hand, which is not trivial but very logical if you understand the role of Windows.

For more precision: You have to do it from Windows and the start menu. You have to go to SW 2019 but instead of right-clicking you have to left-click which opens a submenu where you can then select "Run as administrator".

From there, you can store the templates wherever you want, either in the default SW location, or as very cleverly suggests , @Stefbeno in separate  directories, therefore neutral with respect to any new version of SW. I'm going to use this method.

Kind regards

To complete:
- Choose Open File Location.
- Right-click/properties/compatibility tab:

check "Run as administrator"

The program will then systematically run in admin mode.
Also remember that SW recommends lowering the security level in the "User Account Control Settings" panel (which is an aberration from a security point of view)...

2 Likes