Solidworks bichromated steel

Hi everyone, 

Here's one more question about materials in Solidworks. 

I'm looking to find an equivalent of bichromated steel - class 8.8 mainly - to create screws.

Does anyone have any leads to provide me in this direction? I can only find standardized designations such as 34CrMo4 or E235... What is the size of the material I am looking for?

Good luck with your projects, 

Schpampz

It depends on whether you are going to do calculations or not with it.

If you don't do any calculations (other than the mass), I take one (almost at the very least, I just avoid the exotics) that I copy and rename and possibly modify the appearance.

A priori no calculations other than mass, but you never know... if there is an equivalent I would like to find it or at least have characteristics of the BI steel to know which one is the right one

Bichromated steel is a normal steel with a treatment so for me the mechanical properties remain more or less the same and it remains the same materials.

Even if as for the hot galva it is true that its mechanical property still changes.

If you think you'll ever do some calculations, you have to take a steel whose Re corresponds to class (http://www.technocalcul.com/FR/resistance_meca_vis.html).

@Sbadenis: What is the influence of galva or bichormatage on the characteristics?

1 Like

From memory, bichromating does not flow in any way. On the other hand, the hot galvanizer (450°) makes the steel slightly stronger than the non-hot-dip galvanized steel.

Thank you for your answers! I'm going to create the material in SolidWorks and apply a bichromate-like appearance to it. Good luck!