Steel ( Operating Limit Temperature )

Hello 

I have a design with constraints in terms of steel choice, 

Operating  temperature: 200°C 

Max   pressure: 10 bar, 

thank you for helping me please,

Hello

It all depends on the thickness. ;-)   and also the shape: a cylinder or a forged scuba tank are not the same resistances.
Transform the Bars into Newton, or more precisely into Mega Pascal, and then if you take an S235 steel (basic steel with a bulge), you instantly know the resistance per mm².

There is no limit to how it works, since steel is static by definition it does not work, but steel has elastic limits of deformation.
Note that between 0 and 300° this is considered as preheating in the case of welding (example submarine hull). We don't reduce the coefficients of elasticity at these temperatures!

Kind regards

2 Likes

Thank you Zozo_mp

Do you have an idea about the steel ̈P235GH?

http://www.intertubi.fr/blog-fr/Une-confrontation-entre-l%E2%80%99acier-S235-et-le-P235GH-plus-performant-.-127.html

You are clearly in a case of a pressure vessel.

P235GH is indeed a suitable steel. (Globally in European standard, all PxxxGHs are suitable).

Depending on the grade chosen (the xxx), the steel is more or less resistant - > this will vary your wall thickness (to be calculated).

NB: Be careful, the field of pressure vessels is totally standardized and controlled (except for very small diameters if you have 10b of pressure). That you ask this kind of question scares me a little....

3 Likes