Display variable type part name in assembly tree in Solidworks

Hi all

Here is my problem: 

My assemblies are composed of parts whose file is digital e.g. 123_456_789_A.SLDPRT Each part has a variable "part name" which is found in the cartouche during drawing. Is it possible to retrieve this variable "part name" and display it in the assembly tree next to the "numeric" name? It is easier to visually find a part with its name than with its number when the list is long. Even if I have both no worries.

Thank you very much in advance.

A little macro should know how to do that!!

well then my help stops there

Hello

A little tip.

Create a configuration with the part name and activate this configuration...

Yves

1 Like

Do you want to do like the attached view?

If yes, do as if below:

STEP 1:

Open a part (or a blank part file)

make "file"

then "properties"

"Custom" tab

right button "Edit list"

Enter the name of your variable ("part name" for you if I understood correctly) on the top line

then "Add" button.

STEP 2:

In the "System Options" of SolidWorks:

"General" tab

You must declare your variable (your custom property) as "custom property used as a component description".

You should see it appear in the drop-down list.

STEP 3:

In the assembly creation tree:

1- Right-click on the head assembly

2- Tree display

3- Check "Show component descriptions"

montrer_les_descriptions_du_composant.jpg
7 Likes

I don't think that creating a config exclusively for the name of the part is a good solution. On the other hand, renaming the configuration "default" by the name of the part is in my opinion more judicious. But this method involves doing the job 2 times. Change the name of the config and populate the data map. If one is changed manually, you should also think about changing the other.

I am interested in the file naming methodology, can you tell me more: 123_456_789_A.SLDPRT

And what are your ASM and DRAW files called? and what solutions do you have for the plan number?

Thank you