Translation stop

Hello

I am studying a bearing arrangement, with a rotating load on the right, and I wonder how to stop the left bearing in translation.

And how do you adjust the game?

View image

Circled in blue

Hello

We don't see the rest of your design, but I would reduce the diameter of the shaft to the left (on 80% of the visible length) to be able to tighten your 2 tapered bearings by a Nylstop notched nut. Your bearing on the left will therefore have a smaller inner diameter.

2 Likes

Yes, or the other way around: make the shoulder on the left side by increasing the diameter locally and replace the right shoulder with a nut. But we should indeed have a little more detail on the parts around.

By the way, you should also provide a nut on the bore because the outer rings are not blocked either and therefore the stop in translation on the shaft will not change anything.

Or, a very basic solution, a simple circlips (or elastic ring for purists). It depends on the load and the allowable play.

Also think about one thing: how are you going to assemble all these people (in what order) and what will be the accessibility to tighten the nut or mount the circlips. Otherwise, you may well have a hard time editing (or hear a lot about it from whoever will do it...) or have to design and manufacture a special tool!

@Chamade, a circlip for tapered rollers? It seems to me that they must be constrained at a minimum, right? :)

1 Like

For me the assembly is not good, the direction of the force applied on the middle bearing is not good.

This is the type of assembly that is required:

@Benoit, yes a nut is preferable but pay attention to the tolerances and if the axial load is not too high, it can pass. With the nut, on the other hand, you have to be careful not to put too much strain on the bearings or you will block everything.

In any case, the assembly is not easy. 3 bearings on the same shaft, it may be hyperstatic and cause problems.

1 Like

I would even say Chamade, remove the ball bearing and replace it with the tapered roller bearing on the left, as proposed by Freeman. But since we don't have data on the application, we answer the question of stop in translation. :)

I do a lot of editing as I proposed in the image.

And this is the assembly that is done on motorcycle forks.