Assemblies, routing and references

Hello everyone,

I work on " big " assemblies and sub-assemblies  (up to  3000 parts) with electric routing and tubing.

Between the R&D phase, prototypes,  and production, there are now  5 " versions " of the machine in 3D.

To switch from one version to another, we used an " enregister under " of the main assembly, and of each subassembly that evolved.

So far, so good...

The problem is that some components (mainly routing) keep references with elements that are no longer current, unnecessarily overload the assemblies, and clutter the take-away compositions.

For example, in the example of the attached image (reference analysis in Solidworks Explorer): 

Machine tree:

Main Assembly (A00227_V04)

-> Fluidic zone equipped A00227_V04

-> RI support equipped A00227_V04

The assembly analyzed is the RI support equipped V04

Two routing components: E10591-CP21 harness and TU17 tube

- Harness E10591-CP21 :

-> it references a " RI support equipped V02 " assembly, so an old obsolete version on the V04 machine we are working on today, and which is not the version in which this harness was first designed.

-> it references a " Fluidic Zone equipped A00227_V03" assembly, so an old obsolete version on the V04 machine we are working on today.

-> it references the main assembly " A00227_V04", so... the complete machine!

- TU17 tube:

-> it references a " Fluidic Zone equipped A00227_V03" assembly, so an old obsolete version on the V04 machine we are working on today.

-> it references the main assembly " A00227_V04", so... the complete machine!

-> he refers... to himself (reference in the context)

At the end, when I make a take-away composition of this small sub-assembly, I take a large piece of the machine with me!

So several questions :

- Why these relationships that persist when new versions exist ?

- Is it possible to " purge " these useless relationships (to the old versions, since more recent ones exist), or at least to update them?

question_01.jpg

Hello, yes it's a recurring problem. I think there is a myCADservices utility that is used to update the references, I will try to find it on Monday.

But it looks like a bug anyway, is it the last SP that is installed? 

Hello, yes it's a recurring problem. I think there is a myCADservices utility that is used to update the references, I will try to find it on Monday.

But it looks like a bug anyway, is it the last SP that is installed? 

Hello, thank you for your answer,

Currently, we are in 2014 SP5.

See you tomorrow ;o)

With Windows 10?

With windows 7 Pro

Hello

Maybe one of these utilities can help (I didn't have time to test, and I'm not sure which one I used anymore):

Cleanproject

Dependecies

ProjectExplorer

Alternatively, you can also break references with the SolidWorks tool:

http://help.solidworks.com/2014/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Locking_and_Breaking_External_References.htm

Hello .PL, thank you for your answer

I tested the utilities you are telling me about:

- CleanProject does a good cleanup indeed, but "after" a take-home composition, and allows you to set aside files not directly focused. On the other hand, there is no way to delete them, otherwise we shoot the routing files. It does not clean up the links, it just updates them in the folder where it has stored the files not directly concerned.

- Dependencies allows you to see the reference files... but does not "go into" the details of the routing assemblies, and therefore does not allow action "inside" the routings.

- ProjectManager does allow you to refine the selection of files in the case of creating a new version of the project, but does not solve the problem.

- ProjectExplorer refuses to launch at home (I have MyCadTools 2014.15.02 with Solidworks 2014 SP5...) and tells myself: "Not available in this version" (???)

So for now, my problem remains unsolved, the slightest sub-assembly "carries" with it parts of the general machine, and in several versions......

I have an open ticket with the HelpDesk, but nothing better for now... Just in case, I'll keep you posted!