Assign a layer to a part in a drawing

Hi all!

SOLIDWORKS Version: 2022 SP05

I find myself once again dealing with a SOLIDWORKS oddity...
I'm in a drawing
I insert a view of an assembly
I create a grating layer in order to highlight them from the rest
I can put all the objects in this layer... except the ones I want

Below are some illustrations:
Initial situation

layer assigned to the chassis part:

and I would have liked to show you the tracing on the grating parts but it doesn't work...

Moreover, no layer works on these parts...
It may come from the part itself but I don't know how to solve my problem.

Thank you in advance!

Hello;

Here is the Solidworks help document:
https://help.solidworks.com/2022/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_Layers.htm
But unless you make a macro for repeated elements or with a fixed file name (library), it's a waste of assigning components or subassemblies on separate layers.
In addition, if you are exporting (dwg/dxf), you have to think about creating your projection file:
https://help.solidworks.com/2022/french/solidworks/slddxf/t_map_entities_on_export_to_dwg.htm#qsn1450470174576

If you have MycadTools tools, look at " LayerManager ":

Kind regards.

1 Like

It's true that in cases where there are 25000 components to put in layers all different an automatic way to manage it is a must have.

but in my case the selection is not very long because my tree structure is well arranged and there are only 10 " duckboard " pieces

Regarding the projection file, it's the first time I've heard of it...
if none of our suppliers have complained about it so RAS for the moment I guess

thank you @Maclane for your answer but I can't solve my problem...

A solid restart later everything works as it always should have ...

can't wait to change CAD software!!

1 Like

Hello
I opened a similar question some time ago and found an answer thanks to the MyCadTools Layer Manager.
When you are in the drawing, open the layer manager
(Normally there is an image here, but new users are not allowed to reply with images visibly)

You click on the " + "

There you enter the condition in relation to the property, its value and the name of the layer (then a color).
On my furniture models and benches (which are therefore assemblies) all the pieces are filled in with in the " CUSTOMER " property and depending on the property, it will be classified in a layer.
Careful!!! Layer templates should not have layers already created, it will create them automatically. And it's life-changing a tool like this.
The only thing is that it doesn't work with all properties. That's why you have to have a methodology of your own and not want to assign the parts to real customers, for example, for me. But it also works with the " Description " property otherwise.

I hope it will be okay for you!!