Hello, I design a refractory stainless steel barbecue and I would like to know its resistance and deformation at a temperature of 400°C is it possible with flow simulation and how? Thank you

With the SolidWorks Simulation module, it is possible to deal with temperature problems.

see 310S stainless steel sheet

Furnace Applications Boiler

See this link

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/french/SolidWorks/floxpress/LegacyHelp/FloXpress/Topics/Comparing_FloXpress_to_COSMOSFloWorks.htm?id=9c84e3e67f8847ffa07384fd65db4df3#Pg0&ProductType=&ProductName=

@+ ;-)

1 Like

I think it should hold!

1 Like

Hello

For austenitic steel (304L stainless steel trade name) according to the current standard, the Young's modulus is 20000daN/mm², poisson's ratio: 0.3
yield strength at room temperature: 20daN/mm²

For a temperature of 500°C the elastic limit is: 1+ T/900.loge. T/1750 for T<600° C which gives unless my colleague is mistaken - 20 x 0.557=11.14daN/mm²
Young's modulus EaT/Ea=1+T/2000loge. T/1100 which gives:13660 daN/mm²
extract from OTUA (information provided by my colleague GeaGea)

Here you have a table that gives the curves Rm (MPa) from 0 to 800°

Sources http://outils.construiracier.com/v3/otua.htm

A small remark in passing for those who have done a little forging or failing that to look at a farrier or a locksmith you will know that to obtain temperatures above 300 ° (beyond red) you must have strongly pulsed air, otherwise rusk the temperature does not rise.
So for the BBQ to deform it needs a big fan with a big air flow on the embers.

But being of a peaceful nature, I don't want to fan the embers because blowing is not forging

Kind regards

Edit: Spelling

3 Likes

Hello

And with all this, if you don't trust it yet, you can always put diamond points on the 4 sides and on the bottom to stiffen everything...

2 Likes

Personally, for mine, I took sheet metal of 6 (originally I wanted to do it in 8) in steel + a quick lick of high temperature paint. It's a little rusty, but not deformed!!

1 Like

@Zozo_mp: It's true that you have to blow to get up to speed but, from memory, the red embers are more around 750° than around 300°.

This is the benchmark that a cutler gave me to do the standardizations and reduce the grain of the steel on the knife blades

2 Likes

@Pascal

You're right, I should have been more precise but we call it shade of colors but I was talking about the steel and not the embers themselves.

Between the nascent red and the cherry red you have to have a good eye ;-) ;-). Especially since depending on the variety of cherry!!!!!

In any case, a steel, even heated, if you don't exert deformation pressure, won't deform much. In addition, commercial sheet metal BBQs have a double envelope to avoid contact burns, but that's another subject.

Thank you for your remark in any case.

couleur_acier_en_fonction_de_la_temperature.jpg
1 Like