Torque calculation

Hello

I have a fan turbine at the end of a shaft, this one must have a magnetic coupling.
I would like to know how to calculate the resisting torque of this turbine.

I know: The power of the motor / The rotation speed of the motor / I have the references of the bearings / I have all the masses dimensions of all the parts / The mass of the turbine ect ect

Thank you!

Hello

The torque of the turbine will depend on its rotational speed, the type of fluid (here air I think), the shape of the propeller. The calculation seems really complicated to me.

During the design of the elements to drive our propellers. The supplier of these provides us with a technical sheet with a curve to determine the necessary torque according to the operating speed.

Can you tell us more about the application, the fluid, the type of propeller...

2 Likes

It's air.

Ok so the resisting torque is specific to the turbine and the type of fluid if I understand correctly?
And the resistant torque is the torque needed to overcome the inertia at start-up, so?!

Thank you very much!

You know some values but not the most important one

delta P upstream downstream turbine

the type of fluid/gas

Blade or turbine manufacturers all have operating curves

which correspond in theory in m3 for liquid and/or kg for gas

these m3 or kg depend on the delta P of this turbine which also depends on the rotation speed

which of + is the mechanical pressure losses

The simplest it seems to me is via these curves to make a montage and make current/voltage measurements

to let you know the power you need for optimal operation

which will give the coupling torque of the 2 pieces drive 

@+;-))

2 Likes

Be careful when starting the In can be very important for X seconds

I have already measured + 60 In for a few seconds to overcome this problem we do soft start via either frequency or voltage

so if you design a magnetic coupling  this start must be taken into account 

@+;-))

3 Likes

Hello

Normally, if you know the power and rotational speed, you can use P = C*w with

P: power in W

C: torque in N.m

w : rotation speed in rad/s (for the record w = ft*N (rpm) / 30)

Attention: you must take the rotational speed at the coupling (divide the engine speed by the reduction ratio).

Otherwise, at boot time, you can use sum(M) = J*w' with

M: torque in N.m

J : moment of inertia in kg*m²

w' : angular acceleration in rad/s²

But in this case, the sum of the moments depends on the torque provided by the engine - the resisting torque exerted on the turbine (air friction, ...)

1 Like

Thank you for all your answers, I'll take a closer look with all this new information.

Thanks again;)

1 Like

See this link among others

http://www.heliciel.com/Index.htm

@+ ;-))

Stupid question, if I have my motor torque. I'm sure that the resisting torque is lower than the motor torque (I already know that this assembly works)

Thank you!

BATCH123

Stupid question, if I have my motor torque. I'm sure that the resisting torque is lower than the motor torque (I already know that this assembly works)

Thank you!

What is important is the power to be provided for your fan turbine which corresponds to the air flow

http://www.thermexcel.com/french/ressourc/mot_vent.htm

@+ ;-))

If your system runs with the expected performance, the torque resisting is necessarily lower than that which the motor can provide