Finite Element Design & Weld Seams

Hello

I want to model the structure of a three-wheeler when it goes down a sidewalk (by importing my 3D model to Abaqus).

The problem is that the trailer is made up of many tubes welded together.  

Is it better to represent the weld seams between each metal tube? Or should you just leave the parts in contact without a cord..?

If these are not necessary, I would like to be able to prove it via a small explanatory simulation (at the level of any weld for example)

You will find an image attached,

Thank you very much for your answers,

Kind regards

Florian

triporeur_remorque.png

Good evening 

I don't know about Catia but with Solidworks we don't draw the welds but we use a type of weld connector.

But the question we have to ask ourselves is whether it is the mechanically welded structure that we want to test or the welds.

If the welded mechanic is correctly made, it is rarely the welds that fail.

Machine breakdowns are often due to poor (or absence) gussets and poorly sized bracing or spacers.

In addition, for a simple TiG weld, MiG, single pass or eightfold pass, you don't have the same result. There are charts that give the strength values per mm2 depending on the type of weld and the type of assembly. I use these charts for the design and I do the simulation afterwards.

Catia being normally more sophisticated than Solidworks look at the equivalent of solder connectors

Kind regards