Calculating SW14 Surfaces

Hello

I need to calculate all the interior or exterior surfaces of my duct networks but I don't know how to do it... I tried the Check tool but it doesn't work, it tells me "No Edges / Faces found" ... The "Section Properties" tool could have been suitable but it only takes faces that are parallel and have a good number of circular networks and quite huge networks, I don't have time to waste selecting face by face... I might as well take the good old pencil paper if it's to do that, I'll save time...

So I'm a bit stuck, I don't really know how to calculate all my surfaces quickly. Basically, it's the interior surface of my networks that I'm looking for but even if there is a tool that calculates all my surfaces, interior and exterior, it would be fine with me, I would only have to divide by two the surface area obtained, I'm not to the nearest square millimeter, Anyway, I'm going to round my final result to the next unit.

Thank you in advance for your answers, as numerous as they are!

I have an idea...

Can you select your girdles easily?

If so, select your ducts in the Feature Manager (not through the graphics window, you might measure the selected faces and not the entire surface of the component!).

When you've selected all your elements... you do Tools/Mass Properties ! In the 4th line you have the surface area of the selected elements!!

Can it be suitable?

Edit with image.

screenshot870.jpg
3 Likes

Hello, have you tried mass property.

screenshot.jpg
2 Likes

With the Measure tool, it doesn't work?

Otherwise, the Mass Properties tool gives the area.

Edit: I hadn't seen the previous posts... Sorry^^

2 Likes

Hello Joss

In the mass properties, you have an Area line. You divide it by 2, because it is total. So of course, it's not perfectly accurate because you take the edges of sheet metal with it, but it can help you I hope.

1 Like

Do you know the quantity of your ducts?

I think you know your ducts, in you can do the length  of the ducts multiplied by the part of the section you want to know the surface! 

1 Like

yes, thank you, it's a good solution =)

I started with the measure tool that makes me select each face one by one... It took me less time than with the "Section Property" tool because I didn't have to select only parallel faces, I could select all my outer faces in one go but here, with "Ground Property", it works like clockwork^^ more than dividing the result by two and I fall back on more or less what I had already calculated with the "measure" tool!

Thanks for the info, given the name of the tool, I hadn't even tried to calculate my surfaces with it;)

@Fred, yes, I could have done that as a last resort but that's what I was talking about when I said "I might as well take pencil paper", if I have to calculate each quantity and multiply it by the sections of my ducts, I'm going to waste a lot of time, the networks are complex and change sections every centimeter (to make my Marseillais)!

1 Like

The forum bugged, all the answers arrived at the same time, right?

The superior method, in mass properties it is used to estimate the need for painting, it is rather effective

1 Like