Cao mechanowelded with tube ends flattened at the junctions!

Hello

I use solidowrks to model cylindrical (sometimes square but rarely) mechanically welded tube frames.

So during the production in many cases some welded connections between tubes will be made not through a notching but by simply crushing the end of the tube (simpler and less time-consuming to make so cheaper...)  . Basically, we crush the end of the tube with a vice/press, then we shape the flattened end with a grinder, finally we put everything in contact and then we weld the beads. Nothing very original ...

Except that modeling these connections with solidworks well it's super painful/long/sh*t. Each time , you have to create a plane perpendicular to the end of the tube, offset this plane, sketch a groove on it, extrude it, then create another plane to wedge guide curves to finally be able to make a boss between the end of the tube and the groove, phew !!

And here I'm not even talking about the (frequent!) case where the crushing line of the tube is not perpendicular to it (yes I have tubes that form triangles ^_^) or even the one where the plane created by the crushing would need to form an angle with the tube... These 2 cases are not rare for me unfortunately.

In the end it's a nameless hassle to model all this since most of my connections between tubes are made like this :-( (and I also have "pure" chews in places so in my MEP I have to be able to distinguish the 2!!) .

Example in pictures:

(on the picture the recessed groove to be made in one of the 2 "flats" is not modeled but it will exist in reality eh ^_^...) .

Hence the question: is there a CAD software( s) that would do this automatically? Or maybe there are modules/plugins for solidworks?

There must be a few of us to meet this SW limit, right?

Thank you :-)

Hello

Have you tried to create a library function?

To see

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/r_design_library.htm?id=83c4fd0e53b34f19a56761039ed182ea#Pg0&ProductType=&ProductName=

2 Likes

Hello

Why not create a tube piece with the flattened part and put it in the library and then open it up and edit it as you see fit and then save it as. You write it so you have no choice but to save it as...

2 Likes

Hi everyone :-)

Well so I followed your proposals and I created a piece corresponding to a piece of crushed tube to use it as a library element.

I'll leave you the file for those who would be interested because it's "parametric" (and so it's a bit painful to do...) .

Then the trick works with some equations and equal length relations for some segments. So when we add the part to the end of a mechanically welded tube, it is then enough to put the right coradiality relations of the diameters for it to adjust "automatically" (diameter, wall thickness and tutti quanti). Basically, no need to create a part for each tube diameter/profile (practical when you have your own tube profiles...)

Descriptive:

- the round outer diameter is a controlled dimension (so putting it coradial at the outer diameter of the mechanically welded tube does not pose problems of overstress) 

- the round inner diameter is a piloted dimension (so putting it coradial at the internal diameter of the mechanically welded tube does not pose problems of overstress) 

- the length of the plate (perpendicular to the axis of the tube!) adjusts itself according to the external diameter (the formula used is: "diameter"*3.1416/2). It's not exactly the reality but it's very close (and enough for what I'm going to do with it, feel free to refine the thing).

- the length of the boss is automatically adjusted and corresponds to the external diameter of the tube (it seems good to me as a dimension but it can be discussed).

- The boss has no guide curves because I imposed normal start and end constraints on the profile.

- the thickness of the flat (crushed end of the tube) is always 2 times the thickness of the wall of the tube.

- The width/depth of the dish (in the collinear direction to the tube) is by default 20mm, it's up to you to adjust this according to your needs by resuming the extrusion.

- on the crushing side there is a real "hole", the walls are not joined, by default I put 0.1mm (sufficient precision in my case). It can also be modified if necessary of course.

I admit that I'm not sure I can explain myself well but hey you can try it you'll see ;-) .

Thank you for your help.

test_biblio_tube_applati.sldprt
4 Likes

And here is a small image to illustrate:

extremite_tube_ecrasee.png
3 Likes

You solve your problem with our recommendations and you also give us the benefit of it.

It's beautiful to help each other :-)

4 Likes