Catia - composite materials

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to model in CATIA a high wind (for a boat). It is made of sandwich structure.

The modeling of the high wind itself does not cause me any problems (by doing everything in surface since we use composted materials)

My problem is the following: in this high wind we insert inserts at the time of draping, inserts in which the pillars will be screwed holding the high wind. But then how do you model these inserts since everything is done in surface? (details of the area concerned in the image)

I thought about creating a surface modeling these inserts and embedding it properly, but I'm not sure of the validity of this hypothesis

thanking you in advance for your help

detail.png

Hello

I think it's mainly a question of agreement with the people who are going to manufacture. That said, I'm not sure that a surface is meaningful or practical enough to define the layouts to be provided in the composite panel.

You will certainly have to make a specific plan for your inserts so I would put the 3D model in a panel/insert assembly (or in several parts bodies).

3 Likes

Chamade thank you for your answers,

I'm going to overdo it a little but I'm not sure I understand the idea submitted.

At the time of manufacture, (from the bottom to the top) we are supposed to place the desired folds, the insert, another fold on top, our foam (expansive) and then the folds of the top of the sandwich.

Should I create the insert in 3D and then thanks to an assembly place it on the surface modeling the panel? If so, how to position it between the desired folds?

What worries me in fact is the difference in the thickness of the foam created by the insert, as well as the fold covering the insert before the foam. How can this be properly represented?

It's mostly that I've never applied what you tell me, so if the explanation is succinct or a tutorial exists can you enlighten me? If not, I'd manage to look for this implementation on the net!

in any case thank you for your answers

if it's multilayer (sandwich)

Why not create these layers in volume by defining the material and the thread of the layer

and insert the basic structure of the volume fastener into it also defining the material

which is also a very distinct room

and make sure that the finished volume corresponds to the assembly of the 2 elements

after the pillars and bolt for final assembly

@+ ;-))

Once again, I don't believe that there is a universal method because it will depend on the habits of the person who manufactures. 

That said, here's how I think I would proceed:

- creation of a surface corresponding to the outer underside of the panel. On the plan, you specify that it is the finished panel side and indicate the number of folds and the orientation if necessary.

- creation of a surface offset from the outer face by the thickness of the first folds approximately.

- creation of one (or more depending on the number of inserts) surface corresponding to the hollow induced by the insert. This surface includes the flanks (which can pass through the outer surface) and the part of the fold above the insert.

- You assemble the offset surface and the surface(s) created just before and you thus obtain a surface corresponding to the fold above the insert.

- Creation of the upper outer surface of the panel.

- To create the foam, you can create an encompassing volume that you limit with the lower (with insert consideration) and upper surfaces.

- for the inserts, either you create them in separate parts that you insert via an assembly in the spaces created, or you create them directly in different parts in your panel (if you consider that the manufactured assembly is only one piece).

If necessary, you can always thicken the surfaces to have a volume representation of the folds.

1 Like