Catia/Solidworks

Hello

We are asked by one of our customers to provide files that can be used under CATIA.

We told him that it was possible to provide him with a step or iges file, but according to him, the file " will be a solid ' Dead ' with no possible modification on the creation history".

Can you tell me the possible solutions to solve this problem ? 

Thank you for your feedback

There's a nice one: redesigning everything in CATIA, it's a real pleasure!!

5 Likes

Hello

Unfortunately, the solution is to redo the parts and assemblies on Catia. The gateways are, it seems to me, all on the principle of creating dead bodies (they do a recording in STEP or others and re-open it on the other software!).

Let's see if Catia offers the same function as SolidWorks with feature recognition. Unfortunately, if it exists, it may have the same limit: some volumes are not resolved and remain dead bodies.

Otherwise, I've already had requests like this, for a client who manufactures large planes in Europe (no names!), and we had provided them with Catia files... which were dead bodies. It had been validated.

3 Likes

Hello

I have never used it but look here.

http://www.datakit.com/convertisseurs-cao/solidworks-3d-vers-catia-v5-3d/3-2-0.html

May the force be with you

4 Likes

Hello

I was also going to offer Datakit, I think there is a trial version available by asking either on the site, or to Felix who is on Lynkoa and who works there.

Without wishing to be pessimistic, a colleague had searched without success. Now we draw directly in CATIA despite the loss of time (between 1.25 and 1.75 times the study time in SLDwks). The sales representatives took time to integrate.....

On the other hand, a colleague who has left the company works in another design office for which there is no CATIA taxation with the same client... Go figure! In my opinion, it's all about negotiation.

If there is a solution that makes sense, I'm interested too! (Edit: Free of course)   :-°

3 Likes

It seems to me that Datakit products only allow you to recover a dead body.

The advantage of this type of product (also called gateway) is that you don't need to own the 2 software programs (sender and receiver).

In the example of @adepoilly, with classic tools we would do:

sldprt → STEP → catpart with SW and Catia needs

With the gateways it gives:

sldprt → catpart without the need for Catia

1 Like

Hello Gentlemen,

The company CoreTechnologie publishes the 3D_Evolution Feature Based software (made in France) which makes it possible to retrieve the construction history during CAD conversions and not just the "dead" solid.

We get the geometry, the features, the sketches, the meta data and a multitude of other elements...  

Not all directions of converiosn are available but it already works well between CatiaV5, V4, Ideas, SolidWorks, NX and Creo. 

See in detail here 

http://www.coretechnologie.com/Feature_Based_3D_Evolution_PRODUITS

You can call them directly in Lyon or make a request here 

http://www.coretechnologie.com/Envoyer_une_demande_CONTACT

@+

I had also had the request, but the dead catia files (.cgr) exported by sw had been refused unlike benoit.lf..   because they couldn't put the system in place.
 The solution they ended up accepting was a 3D export, and they redesigned it under catia from the plans!

Ok thank you for your feedback.

I will explore your different avenues.