Center of Gravity and Center of Mass

Hello 

My small problem is that when I visualize the center of gravity by the Mass Property tool, I have a certain position, and when I compare it to the center of mass in the tree, well, it's not the same position.

Anyone have a little explanation to give me please?

Thank you in advance

capture.jpg

Hello

No a priori explanation.

Before answering you, I redid the test on a complicated part, then on a subset comprising a hundred parts. Then I took the meta assembly which contains 20 times the subset of 100 pieces.

In any case, I always have the same position (whatever the decimal) of the center of mass appearing either with the evaluated function (pink gismo) or permanently in the file with the white and black target.

To check the three XYZ coordinates of the black target, just click on it and look in the bottom banner of solidworks and you will see that you have the same coordinates.

Explanation possible! although clever-towed and checked: to have had the view updated and/or to have saved the part or assembly and possibly to have had " recalculated " if you use the evaluate function directly.

If you want us to look: if this does not happen again, send us the assembly with the function provided for this purpose.

I do a lot of kinematics and I've never seen that even with subsets using the flexible function.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello

I had a similar problem a long time ago,  the cause was a part of my assembly whose material was not defined.  So if your system is an assembly, have you checked that the materials of each part are defined?

4 Likes

Surprising, I would look for lightened/solved parts + a general recalculation via CTRL+Q (especially if there are equations).

Hello

Thank you for your collaboration, I defined all the materials of all my pieces and it didn't change anything.

So I did other investigations again and I found, the center of mass takes into account the hidden parts while the mass property does not take them into account unless you check the box... and I had a part hidden in a sub-sub-assembly..... It was a very simple problem.

Have a nice day

2 Likes