Center of Gravity (SW)

Hello everyone,

I have a question that leaves me perplexed

One of my work colleagues asks me the centre of gravity of the attached part

The problem is that this piece seems to be all in surface received as it is. And that the mass menu to have it is not displayed

I tested the macros you had recommended for the other questions concerning the center of gravity but it doesn't work on this part

Do you have a solution to offer me, because these are true that I almost never receive parts in surface so I don't really know how to do it in this case

thank you in advance for your answer

Steve

4180109.sldprt

By definition the surface components have no masses, it seems logical not to be able to locate the center of gravity.

In addition, in your case, it is an assembly imported into parts, so we will find ourselves confronted with a problem: the parts are not all in the same material.

You can always get a result by using the import diagnostics in solidworks and transforming the component back into a volume but I doubt that it is worth working on since the result will be wrong.

Did you receive the file in SOLIDWORKS format directly or in an export format such as IGES for example?

It will not be possible for you to obtain the mass properties on a surface part.

You have to get a volume.

We would have to recover the original file (iges or step) to see what can be done. Currently, unless you work on the surfaces to generate a closed volume and obtain one or more volumes... There are no quick fixes. I tried the import diagnosis and it doesn't improve the result...

What fthomas says is not wrong in terms of materials...

However, if we still want to make an approximation (which will remain only an approxiamtion), we must:

1 - Clean the model and simplify it, i.e. remove for example the surfaces that correspond to the letters and that cause there to be

discontinuities, and which, in addition, do not bring much.

2- Then try to sew the surfaces together to create volume.

But in any case, given the part, it will only remain an approximation because indeed, in this case, it is considered to be the same material everywhere. However, we can see that there are metal parts and others made of plastic.

Maybe you could also ask your colleague to export the assembly, but not as a single piece. That would help you a lot...  

I found the original file it was in step format see if attached

I'm going to test your answers, because even if these approximates will already give us an idea

I tell you again if it worked:)

4180109.step

Hello

I got your file back and tried to "hack" something. First of all, I made a boss to be able to combine and thus subtract the surfaces. I created another boss to do a subtraction with the first boss. This then creates a room with a few volumes. 

It's quite complicated to explain so I'm attaching what I did (unfortunately I work with Solidworks 2013, I hope you'll be able to read it...).

In addition, the result is not great because the central room is still empty. You have to know if it's normally full to continue to improve the result I just obtained.

I guess others on the site can continue my work. I simply gave a lead (at least I hope so).

4180109.sldprt
7 Likes

Thank you very much for your help, I was able to recover your file on solidworks 2013 at home.

I took note of the operation you used, and I found that it does not exist in solidworks 2012

I will have one more reason to have the 2013 version installed at my work;)

Thank you again:)