What's the difference between a product and a part? (CATIA)

Hi all

Still in my idea of building a skeleton I have a question that bothers me and that will surely make me look like an idiot.

In catia, what's the difference between a product and a part? 

A product and a set of parts?

And why don't I have the same icon between part 1.1 and part 1 (see the attached image)

Same between product 1 and product 3.1

Thank you for your answer which I think will be very useful to me since it must be the basis.

Kind regards

Ju'

produit_piece.png

Hello

From my old memories of Catia v5, the product is the assembly.

As for the difference in icons, are you sure to be in the room's environment every time?

2 Likes

Hello

See the last part of this tutorial which is quite self-explanatory:

http://www.the-blueprints.com/tutorials/catia/

1 Like

Hello

What I did was just that I created a new product and then I asked catia to insert different "stuff" thanks to the insert tab. And I saw that we had a large choice of insertions and I wanted to know the difference between these many choices.

There is no design or other approach at this time. I would say that it is more a process of knowledge of the basics of the software.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Take a good look at this tutorial

http://catiadoc.free.fr/pdf/FR-Dassault-Systems_Assembly_Design.pdf

It gives the basics of CATIA
@+ ;-))
1 Like

Hello 

The difference between the two icons (Product) is the representation of a sheet.

In the first case with the sheet (it's a CATProduct) we save a CATPRoduct file.

In the second case, without a sheet (there is no creation of CATProduct files), it is a component (grouping of screws for example).

3 Likes

In CATIA:

The CATProduct is an assembly or sub-assembly.

It does not contain geometry (it is a link pointer)

It contains the assembly constraints of the parts, S/E and component.

It can contain user settings.

It can contain scenes (exploded example).

The "Composent" Screw Grouping (Example)

It behaves like the CATProduct except that we don't have a file.

One can copy a component from one CATProduct to another (with or without an associativity link)

The CATPart is the part file.

But not only that, you can very easily design for example a multi-material part, or for example a cylinder and have the constraints as if you were in an assembly.

(It's less user-friendly than in the ASSembly workshop, but when you don't want to manage as many parts files + assembly it's an effective solution).

4 Likes

Thank you Franck for your answer.

You say that in a product we can have the user settings.

However, no matter how hard I try to make them appear in the tree, I can't do it. (And I activated the product before with the double clicks)

I can only get the parameter tab to appear when I have activated a part.

Do you know why? 

(PS: I have already checked in the options and I have checked make the parameters appear in the tree)

In order to illustrate my point (penultimate comment) I have attached an image.

On the left is what I would like to find on the internet. On the right, what I get.

Thank you for your help.

para.png

Good evening, try to create a user parameter

This is the icon (fx) normally at the bottom right in the Assembly Design Workbench

For example, a length parameter

The container parameter should create this in the build history.

1 Like

No matter how hard I try, it doesn't work using this function (fx).

And when I try to do a copy and paste. When you stick the parameter contains it disappears directly.

Hello to check that all options are selected.

2 Likes

Hello

Just to complete franck.ceroux's answer on the icons, the first icon "Piece 1.1" is "the instance". It's a number that increments every time you insert the same part in a product or component. The second icon is the definition file of the part itself.

If you switch to the visualization mode, only the first icon will appear.

In design mode, if you want to edit your part from the product, you have to double-click on the second icon.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answers.

Indeed Franck.ceroux I hadn't activated parameter relations in my product. 

Thanks for the help.

1 Like