Complex chamfer

Hello

I'm new to the forum so I'll briefly introduce myself.

I am an industrial mechanic and I have been using Solidworks for many years, mainly for machine design .

The problem is that the piece I want to make today is out of my comfort zone because it is an unusual form for me.

I'm attaching the photo of what I want to achieve and where I am in the design.

My problem is to make the kind of chamfer that you see on the kind of "tentacles" and for the sword.

And then, I stumble, no matter how much I play with the chamfer values and the angles I can't do it, could you help me?

Kind regards

thumbnail_sans_titre_126.jpg

where I am in modeling

broche.png

In the end you only have 2 tentacles to make

since the 4 big ones are identical

I advise you to make each tentacle via a scan 1 of each

then you symmetrical horizontal and vertical 

That's it

@+

2 Likes

Thank you

How you would proceed to draw the sketches for the scan, knowing that the part is bulging (see attachment.

Good night.

broche2.png

Several walkthroughs

Create a surface on the domed part

another around the perimeter of this brooch encompassing the tentacles and sew these surfaces 

Create a topplane 

On this offset plane, create the sketch via a spline

to the axis of these tentacles

and projected this curve onto the surface

After creating plans at each end 

on these plans a triangle 

and create the swipe

That's it

@+

1 Like

I think that to achieve a result easily, you shouldn't try to make half a piece and make a symmetry.

Indeed, I have the impression that if we take the three tentacles on the left, none of the three has the same size or strictly the same shape.

Once you've made your half of the piece, the other half will simply be done with symmetry with the function of the same name.

Why I propose this, because to have the complex shape of the tentacle, you have to make a smoothed base boss with several sketches that give the profile (like slices of sausage) is two or three guide lines that will connect the different profiles to obtain the harmonious curve.

In the attached image, you will see an example of one of the ways to do this, but in your case, you will probably have to make 3D splines given the even more complex shape that a tentacle represents.

Kind regards

bossage_base_lisse__-tube__volume_comprime_entre_deux_galets.jpg
1 Like

EDIT

Hello

I am looking forward to an example (even partial) of @gt22's proposal.
Especially to make coherent radii everywhere with the model, since it's radiated everywhere)

With surfaces, he always does simple things that allow us to do complex things. Forttiche what ;-)

Maybe also look at the drafts, to be done before rounding (holidays in CAD/foundry terms).

1 Like

see attached images for @Zozo ;-)

attached file the odds are not good it's only for the principle

@+ ;-)

tentacule_bouclier.sldprt
3 Likes

I almost go off-topic to thank @gt22 for his example.

Thank you for your example which shows the increased possibilities when you are not able to use the functions of the surface domain. In the example offered by gt22 we get a result much simpler than by the method I used, it's great ;-)     (without flattery)

Fortunately I don't make complicated shapes every day (in reality almost never ;-)    ) because  I would have to get more than seriously into these surface features and if I learned this I would know even more than today and my pov' neurons Ouch !!

THANK YOU iiiiiiiii

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

Thank you very much for all your answers, it's really nice!!

I'll test your different methods and see what suits me.

Thank you again,

Good night.