Chamfer on elliptical background

Hi all 

I am using Solidworks and for the realization of a part that must go on an elliptical tank bottom, I have to make a double chamfer. I can't find a solution that satisfies a constant chamfer. The chamfer must be at an angle of 22.5° by 29 mm at any point in the workpiece.

I am attaching the plan to be clearer. (Some ribs are wrong, only the "bottom ferrule" area is a problem for me.

Do you have any solutions, I have tried various approaches but nothing allows me to respect this value in all points.

Thank you all, have a good evening 

dwg_elipse.jpg

I do not fully understand your problem.

Can you put an image of what you get (and how) and what you would like (in detail, on your image you can't see well)?

1 Like

On the attached image I extracted the part to be chamfered. 
The chamfer must be constant over the entire periphery as defined in the extract of the plane.

Tell me if it's still unclear. 

Thank you

representation_chanfrein.png

Hello@jordan alonso_1

via a scan material removal it should do it

Just create the right closed profile

and a guide curve

and constrain these 2 refs 

@+

8 Likes

Hello

I think like gt22.

But I would add that the chamfer must be type top dimension only on the plan view. What is around it doesn't matter... Chamfers of this type are often made with a grinder in our country.

1 Like

Hello

Above all, if I'm not mistaken, the clearance is +-5°, and then it's mainly the welder behind who will have fun:)

Sweeping also seems to me to be the solution, with maybe a guide curve at 29mm "from the bottom" after having made a surface offset (if the part allows it)

Or smoothed material removal.

EDIT:

In any case, if it's the welder who does the chamfer, on your side (drawing side) it's only representation. (as long as the hill indications are good, everything is fine, no need to waste time on it)

@+

3 Likes

Just for the record,

Is your cup view of the tank on the Z an extrusion or cylindrical? (rotation of the half-ellipse on the vertical axis?) which would completely change the lower shape of the piece in detail.

Hello FUZ3D,

We're going to make the chamfer and it's a rotation of the half eclipse.

For the scan function, I'm blocking for the definition of the guide neck. 
I think I succeeded with the offset function of the surface at the periphery to get the passage lines a tan(22.5)*29 and tan(22.5)*61 and then two ruled surfaces in order to have the chamfer. I have to check that it's good in every way for the moment it's ok at 0° and 90°. But it's a very long technique for a chamfer. 
I will continue to find a more optimal solution.

EDIT: attachment changed

v2_chamfer_elipse_-_copie.sldprt

Thanks for the info jordan  alonso_1

Be careful with your attachment, you didn't make a composition to take away, so it must probably be missing the piece(s) in it. (I'm in 2019 version so I can't open it)

With the smg extension is it good? 

If not, which extension should I use? 

v2_chamfer_elipse_smg.smg

Hello@jordan alonso_1

post your parasolid part

This will allow all stakeholders to be able to convert it via their log or version

parasolid is the basic core of SW 

@+;-)

Hello

The solution is indeed in removal of material by scanning (If the sketch evolves around the edge, it will be by smoothing and that's another joke).

The hardest thing is to put the right guide curves right. Given the geometry, for me you need 2: one on the inside and one on the outside of the domed bottom.

You should also make the sketch protrude a few mm from the part to avoid rounding errors during the sweep (if you are side by side, there is a good chance that the geometry will crash).

If you still have crashes on the geometry, make a disjoint volume body that you later remove from your part using the volume tools. This solution allows you to locate any geometry problems since you will be able to visualize the two bodies.

2 Likes

Hi all 

I attach the parasolid part as advised. 

parasolid_v2_chamfer_elipse_-_copie.x_t

Visually it looks good.

An image of the SW Creation Tree could help other people.

Did you do it via a scan + 2 guide curves as a result?

Nb: Personally I would make evolutionary radii between the stitching and the elliptical bottom part: prettier and probably less concentration of stresses if the base part is made in a foundry. I would also increase the length of the connection cone between the 2 cylinders.