Variable chamfer on wolf's mouth

Hello

I have a Ø46.4x6.3 tube that needs to be welded on a Ø168.3x14.2 at 90°, but with an inlet chamfer for the 45 to 50° variable weld.

How to draw it in solidworks to have it cut out?

Thank you for your answers.

sans_titre.png

Hello

It's my daily bread sa!

The simplest thing I think is that I'll send you an example.

chanfrein_gueule_de_loup.sldprt
2 Likes

@ Frederic

a visu would be nice we don't all have the same SW version

Thank you

2 Likes

No worries.

Image attached.

Step 1 The Wolf's Mouth

Step 2 project the heel onto the invurved part of the tube using the projected curve function

Step 3 sketch the chamfer on the 4 cardinal points

Step 4 connect the vertices of the 4 chamfers with a 3d sketch

Step 5 make a smoothed material removal using the 3d sketch, the projected curve and the edge of the tube and one of the 4 chamfer sketches.

sans_titre.png
8 Likes

yes indeed it's the right walkthrough 

and to my knowledge the only

bravo @+ ;-)

You are too strong!

Thank you very much

And if there is one who has another faster idea, I'm interested!!

1 Like

Hello

@frederic, your example is very good. Before making it simpler I have a question, what you are doing is perfect of a very good quality but it is a chamfer to put solder, do you need to be as clean ?if the answer is no then you can make a chamfer function by adjusting distance, distance rather than distance and angle  it comes out something good, fast but less beautiful than you, you have to see the quality you need.

May the force be with you.

chanfrein_.sldprt

Yes, it is a weld chamfer.

But above all, I need to dimension the chamfer neatly

Internally, the chamfers are generally varied between 30° and 60°.

And with your Master OBI WAN technique, the angle doesn't vary.

It should be possible to vary the chamfer in the same way that it should be possible with the variable fillet function.

Novice's question:

Why is this angle variation so fundamental? Because as OBIWAN says, it's only for the welding.

How is it performed on the tube?

Depending on the diameter of the 2 tubes, varying the angle of the chamfer allows to have a "chamfer" between the 2 tubes that may be constant (if the angle is too closed we can't weld at the bottom, if it's too open there is a lot to fill in the weld).

And in the workshop you need its... to the millstone! But the plan has to be right!

2 Likes

I have always believed

it is better to leave one day =  at the thickness

You need play between the welds!

Personally I put 2-3 mm of solder clearance between the tubes

1 Like

The clearance and shape of the chamfer depend on the process (MIG, TIG, etc.) and if it is in auto (orbital welding, robot,...)  or manual.