Change a drawing's references

Hello

When some parts look like the same dimensions, I make a copy of the assembly, I rename it, then I make a copy of the drawing and I go to Solidworks explorer to change its reference, so my drawings are automatically updated according to the changes.

Being an Axemble customer I wanted to know if in all the tools at our disposal there was one that allowed us to do the same thing, Solidworks Explorer is very unstable.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Hello

I use the Composition to Go function:

file - composition to take away.

This tool allows you to copy a part or assembly and rename it (along with drawings).

Kind regards.

Fred

Hello

As you are an Axemble customer, you are aware that there is a suite of tools (myCADtools) whose ProjectManager utility allows you to do what you want. I invite you to download the setup (30 days of free use) as well as the presentation of all the utilities.

The setups here.

The presentation HERE.

Otherwise I had posted a video to punctually duplicate a part with its drawing HERE. It is a little dated but is still relevant.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello

From what I read, you operate in a rather similar way to ours: duplication of a piece or similar case.

We use the Axemble "Project Manager" tool to duplicate our assemblies with the associated drawings. This allows us to manage both renaming, changes to plan references and moving files and subdirectories to our new directory.

All this much faster than with Solidworks Explorer.

I'm not very familiar with the options in Axemble contracts so I don't know if you have access to them.

1 Like

Jmsavoyat was faster than me. :-)

There is a "more barbaric" solution but one that works.

Use only when you only have a few parts and/or assemblies to duplicate and rename.

In the case of a room and its drawing:

Open the part and drawing from SolidWorks

Make the drawing "save as" by renaming it

While keeping the drawing open in SolidWorks , make a "save as" of the part

Go back to the drawing and "Save" everything.

In the case of assemblies and sub-assemblies:

Open the top-level assembly, then do a "Save As" and rename

Open the level 1 subassembly(s) and do the same (i.e.: a "Save As" and rename) while keeping the higher-level assembly open.

Once the subassemblies have been renamed, go back to the top-level assembly and press "Save".

You can use the same method, if you have a part to rename in one of the subassemblies you just renamed.

As said in the first line of my post, it's "technical" is "barbaric", is only applicable for a few changes and not mass renaming, and it requires calm so as not to make mistakes.

2 Likes

Of course!!!! Am I stupid we were shown it in training.

I will take a closer look at all this.

Thank you all and have a good end of the day.

With solidworks 2013 there is no need for a solid explorer.

Once the plan is saved with the new name.

You press File Open, you select your new plan and

Instead of clicking Open, you click on References (see screenshot)

In the dialog box that opens, double-click the part or ASM

and go select the new one.

That's it!

On the other hand, it's practical for some parts if it's for treatment in

mass it's better to use Projectmanager as jmsavoyat says

references_mise_en_plan.png
1 Like