Choosing the Plane When Creating a Part in an Assembly

Hello, when you create a part in an assembly, you must choose a plane in that assembly. By choosing this plane, for example the plane on the right of the assembly, this plane will be the front plane of the new part. How do I get the right plane of the part created by choosing the right plane of the assembly?

Thank you.

Hello

If you create a new plane that coincides with the right plane of the assembly and then create the new part on that plane, it should work.

Cdt

Fred

1 Like

Yes, it is a solution, but the selected plane, even if it is a coincident plane, will always be considered as the front plane of the new room. The best would be to be able to choose which plane of the new part will be the one selected in the assembly (not always considered as a front plane).

Cdt.

Hello

This is a problem that I gave up on solving a very long time ago.

In general, we first design the part with often a very vague idea of the final assembly, especially if we work with several people and or we assemble in the assembly a posteriori with sometimes 5 or 6 versions of the said part before the first assembly. For example, look at the Y position of each piece in a montage, it's edifying.

So the only way that is very cumbersome and that ultimately doesn't add much is to change the reference plane of the part. (see the appropriate function).

As the change is made a posteriori, i.e. in the presence of the assembly, it is too late. That's why for recurring parts, SW and others  have created the so-called smart parts, but this is only a very small use case because not all parts, download, for example, screws or others have this feature

Kind regards

Here I have done a few tests since this morning and I have found a solution, I am waiting for your opinions and other proposals. In the assembly, I create a new part by selecting the right plane of the assembly. The face plane of the part is the plane on the right of the assembly.

At this stage,

1.Je leave the editing of the part and I remove the fixation-in-place relationship of the part. 

2. I select the part face plane and the assembly face plane.

3. I create a coincidental relationship between the two.

4. The front plane of the assembly is the front plane of the part.

Here is the answer of a technical consultant from A-S3D (by email)

Hello

By default, SolidWorks will open a sketch on the face plane of the part, and that sketch will be on the selected face in the assembly, when the virtual part is created.

When creating the part, it is sufficient not to select a face using the "esc" key on the keyboard, or to validate the empty sketch, or to cancel the sketch in question, then to edit the newly created part (if it is not already the case), and to create a sketch on the right plane at the level of the virtual room.

By default, if you do not select any face when creating the virtual part, the origin of the part will be coincident with the origin of the assembly, so the plans of the part will also coincide with those of the assembly, as in the video attached to this email.

Yours sincerely.

Have a good day and thank you for your answers.

sldrx.wmv