How to lighten a point cloud to work in Inventor

Hello

I need to create a set in Inventor, with a point cloud as a conflict reference.

Unfortunately, the navigation is not smooth at all.

When I make this famous point cloud invisible, I easily take over the navigation, so the problem would come from the density.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you in advance.

Hello

The best solution is to do a "clean" scan.

By this I mean that when scanning, you have to know how to prepare what you are scanning and pay attention to the accuracy of the scan so that it is not unnecessarily high.

This is to limit the number of points...

In my experience, people who scan tend to scan without preparing, which results in too many points, which makes CAD processing very difficult.

It is necessary to erase, as best as possible, the unnecessary points in order to regain an acceptable level of performance

Or better, do the scan again....

Could we have a picture of this scatter plot?

3 Likes

Thank you for this answer.

Which doesn't reassure me about the extra work that will have to be done...

Here is an excerpt from this scatter plot.

extrait_nuage_de_points.jpg

Hello

Yves Boutherand is unfortunately right, in CAD we always encounter problems with the preparation and capture of scans.

In view of your image it seems to me that you could delete the (unrelated dot areas) and separate them this will make it easier to read.

I don't know if your software allows you to perform a cleaning but it is an obligation because in general scans produce a lot of incorrect surface.

If you have CATIAV5 I have published a free tutorial that explains how to do a cleaning.

Have a nice day

1 Like

Ha yes, looking at the image, I understand your performance problems better.

Clearly, this type of scan is unusable given the number of points generated, regardless of the CAD used.

Catia, like SolidWorks, will not do better than Inventor...

So indeed, you are right, in your case, the additional work to be done will be substantial. I'm sorry for you, but not many solutions to clean up this scan, except to spend a few hours deleting thousands (millions) of points...

1 Like

Hello

Yves is right, in view of the published image which is a priori only an excerpt, we will have to clean it up severely!

The simplest way is to treat the point cloud by "subset" depending on what you want to do, i.e. import the point cloud and keep only the pipes, do the same thing again and keep only the sheets, etc etc ...

Good luck in any case!

@+

2 Likes

Hello

In addition to what has already been said, I think that in addition to point clouds, there is superposition of a 3D model or image, I can't know but hey, to work on this point cloud, I agree with @Coyote we'll have to work with subsets of points.

After in your question when you talk about a set to be created, you should use the whole cloud or just the part concerned by the set to be created?? If this is the case, it is sufficient to leave visible only the part of the cloud concerned.

Regards and good luck

Bastien