How to choose the right laptop

Hello

I am currently looking into buying a new laptop. Knowing that I have a good chance of doing 3D modeling (Solidworks or other), I wanted to know if it was possible to compensate for the poor quality of a graphics card with a lot of RAM with a good processor.

Hello

Well, no. Now the choice of graphics card depends a lot on the use you will have of Solidworks (for Catia I don't know). I have a laptop with an integrated graphics chipset (no graphics card), intel core i7 and 16GB of RAM and I have no problem but, be careful, I don't do any surface or part requiring big graphics calculations and I don't particularly need the realistic rendering ...

Otherwise: i7, 16GB of RAM minimum plus SSD preferably. More complete information HERE.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Thank you for this information. I don't know yet how much I'll use modeling software but I might as well take a computer with a good graphics card when in doubt.

Kind regards

Yes, that's for sure, but that's what will inflate the price...

Be careful, for the graphics card it is preferable to take a model certified by Solidworks (see HERE) and for the Gamer version PCs they are not specially adapted to CAD use!!

For example, if you look quickly, you can find a portable workstation with a 15.6" FHD (1,920  x 1,080 ) non-touch anti-glare screen, a 9th generation Intel ® Core i7-9750H™ processor , 16 GB of DDR4 SDRAM at 2,666  MHz, an Nvidia Quadro P620 w/ 4GB GDDR5 graphics card (Solidworks certified card) and a 512 GB SSD hard drive for 1550€ excl. VAT.

Kind regards

1 Like

Impossible, it's like wanting to gain more horsepower on your car by putting "premium" fuel instead of the standard...
As already said, it depends on the use.
For my part I have 32GB of ram, a quadro P4000 card and an Intel Xeon 3.7ghz

It's enough for the majority of my work, but sometimes having 64GB of ram could help me (3d scan post-processing in particular)

1 Like