How to Convert a Symmetrical Part to Sheet Metal in Solidworks 2013

When I get this part, I have a volume that I would like to convert into a sheet metal part to avoid redesigning it at the risk of making a mistake?

Thanks in advance

SLTS

Hello

In the sheet metal module there is a "Convert to sheet metal" function.

However, I advise you to check the symmetry once finished.

Have a nice day.

Hello

Symmetry in an assembly is practical for a complete subassembly that one would like to symmetrical.

For a single part, it is best to use the symmetry function in a room.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Mirror_Part.htm

4 Likes

Hello

There are several possibilities depending on what you want to recover.

In my case, when I have a symmetrical sheet metal piece, the only thing I'm interested in is the unfolded one. So, when in your original part you have made a drawing inserting the unfolded, a derived configuration is added with the name DefaultSM-FLAT-PATTERN.

From there, in my symmetrical piece, I manually create a derivative configuration also called DefaultSM-FLAT-PATTERN. In this configuration, I go to the mirroring function (which appears as an imported body), right-click "list external references". In the name of the configuration you choose DefectSM-FLAT-PATTERN of your original part and you validate. The unfolded 2 pieces are now linked.

With this method, your 2 pieces are strictly symmetrical, including the bending parameters.

Hoping to have answered your question...

2 Likes

Hello

100% agree with @Lucas Prior

@+

4 Likes

Indeed, "convert to sheet metal" allows you to convert a part made with SolidWorks functions into sheet metal (volumetric bodies), but also (which I didn't know) from surfaces:

http://help.solidworks.com/2011/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/AllContent/SolidWorks/Core/Sheet_Metal/HIDD_DVE_CONVERT_TO_SM.htm

Even if I do the symmetry of the part, I still end up with a symmetrical body that I would like to have a separate piece of sheet metal and cut the links.

You want to find in your symmetrical room all the tree structure of your original part, right?

I don't want to create the symmetry of the original part and then create its unfolded but not under the drawing to export it in DWG.

So symmetry of the original part by the Insertion/Symmetrical part function... then after 2 schools:

_soit as Lucas suggests by converting to sheet metal in your symmetrical room, but suddenly you can end up with different parameters between your 2 rooms...

_soit as I mentioned above : in your original part, you create an "unfolded" config, then in your SYM part you also create an "unfolded" config and in the symmetry function you right-click "list external references". In the name of the configuration you choose "unfolded" and you validate. This way, you have your symmetrical in folded and unfolded condition, strictly identical to the original part .

2 Likes

Thank you Benoit.if. I'm trying your solution

For more details, a tutorial has been posted on Lynkoa:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/cr%C3%A9ation-de-pi%C3%A8ce-sym%C3%A9trique

It is 9 pages long and it is well detailed (even if it dates from 2008, it is still relevant).

1 Like

Hello

Just a remark, if it's the symmetric of a sheet metal part, the unfolded is normally the same, unless I'm mistaken...

And if it is a symmetrical part, it will necessarily follow the evolution of the original part.

Just a remark, if it's the symmetric of a sheet metal part, the unfolded is normally the same, unless I'm mistaken...

YES unless otherwise applicable for folds

And if it is a symmetrical part , it will necessarily follow the evolution of the original part.

yes if you keep the links

no if you break the ties

@+ ;-)

Thanks to Benoit.lf for his answer.

Hi all

For my part, I would do it much more simply.

Save the base sheet metal file under a new name

In this new file  , create the symmetry of the sheet metal body.

Remove the body from the base plate.

AND here we have two files of two symmetrical sheets with their unfolded!

@+

1 Like