How do I create the volume that is the result of moving another volume?

Hello

Do you ever have to model the volume generated by the movement of the equipment you create?

I will give you two examples to illustrate my point. The volume occupied by the opening of a door is simple to represent. But representing the volume that a car wheel can occupy by taking into account the travel angles of the steering and suspension is already more complicated.

In the attached image, you will find the result of a very simple part that rotates around an axis. This required 3 additional functions, but I am looking for an automatic solution that will allow more complex shapes to be processed.

Of course, I'm also looking for a light result. I therefore refrain from producing the expected volume by asking for 100 occurrences during the 0/65° circular repeat.

I am interested in your feedback for this problem that I am not able to solve for the moment simply.

Looking forward to reading you.

volume_debattement.jpg

In my field and in aeronautics, these are called reserved areas.

I do it by hand because my cutscenes are always complicated with several pieces in all directions a real headache.

Is your mechanics complicated because in general with three or four positions it is enough to define your reserved area.

1 Like

you just need to know the angular displacement

and create seemingly almost translucent repetitions by

Complement OE Parts Positioning

@+

2 Likes

To answer Zozo_mp's question, my conceptions are not that complicated. The problem is that we realize that even with fairly simple shapes, the result quickly becomes complex (see attached image in my first email).

The gt22 solution works, but it is not satisfactory in terms of model optimization. I am careful not to weigh down my assembly unnecessarily.

In fact, I realize that SolidWorks allows you to perform sketch scans along a curve, but not volume scans along a curve. However, with such a function, it would be very easy to create the volume occupied by the movement of other already existing volumes. To go back to my wheel example: I would take the body of the wheel, I would swipe it to the right/left to get the "direction" volume, and then I would do the same thing with the volume obtained up/down. Hop, so the trick would be done to have the total volume "steering + suspension", i.e. the full volume that the wheel can occupy. What do you think?

Perhaps other software than SolidWorks is doing better with this need?

One solution would be:

Let's call the moving part PRT-A

Create either in the component concerned, the PRT-A, or in a dummy PRT-B used only for that.

Beware of the false weights, if the part remains active in the ASM. (or set the ground of the dedicated PRT-B to zero, or of the body if in PRT-A).

Then, in the PRT-B, we take the outline of the shapes (choice to be made by the user, be careful to make the right choices).

Create a volume revolution, or extrusion as needed, which will activate the "thin function" mode, choose the right side for the direction of the thin function, then choose a thickness value.

Then in the ASM, we find the PRT-B control volume, we deactivate the PRT-A, we use the function:

Tools / Evaluate / Interference Detection (see also the possible options with this function...)

Otherwise, there is the mode where we release the movement of the parts (we can put constraints DistancesLimit / AngleLimit), then in Move Components, we activate with collision, and we move with the mouse... (with or without the option of stopping in a collision)

Afterwards, if it's combined movements, it's also done, but requires a little more time.

May the dark side be with you...

Thank you for your answer Olivier42. For the part concerning the search for collisions, it suits me. Unfortunately, for the modeling part (which interests me the most), I don't think the proposed method is correct. Indeed, in a number of cases – such as the very simple one of the attachment – the scan (or revolution) of an outline does not give the same result as the scan (or revolution) of a volume. I'll let you open the example attachment ("Step 1" configuration) to understand the difficulty I want to show you.

PS: yes, there is a dark side to this problem!

volume_debattement.sldprt

Yes, there are subtleties in the "returns" of matter...

to do with "Collision detection" then...

that's what I do when I need to simulate a move

I create 2 pieces

a normal

one with its displacement 

creates an assembly of the 2 components with the right constraint

Recorded as an assembly and part

Here is an image of the part with its translucent displacement

@+

weight piece only 125 KB

displacement weight 418 KB

weight piece single piece + displacement in part 285 KB as the attached image

Weight and travel in assembly  135 KB

Thank you for your answers. But I'm still wondering how to just create the blue volume in the gt22 illustration? I'm not bothered by translucent (or otherwise) representation in assembly or collision finding. I'm looking for a basic method to create this volume of clutter. However, the starting (green) volume is ultra simple. In this case, I didn't have any trouble creating the blue volume – see 1st message :

But since there is no function in SolidWorks that allows you to scan a body that has already been created, how do I manage to model the volume occupied by more complicated shapes? Sorry to insist on this problem... with no satisfactory solution from my point of view at the moment.

Hi @ blioult

If someone has a satisfactory solution I'm also interested because I have the same problem and  as already said I do a lot of cinematics so it's a real problem. I'm wasting a lot of time with this PB.