How do you cut a shell?

Hello

Here is a chimney hood, I would like to make a cut on the edges in order to get 4 sheets of metal for manufacturing, but solidworks, either tells me:

the geometry of the region is too complex,

or he makes me a little weird cuts

Does anyone have the solution

Thank you for your help 

hotte.sldprt

Hello

An almost barbaric solution would be to make 4 configurations, with a removal of material from the three sheets that are not useful!

To do this, you can convert the entities:

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Convert_Entities.htm

For sheets that you don't need for the material removal function.

1 Like

Given the geometry, I would do material removal by scanning (Insertion/Material Removal/Scan).

4 will be needed , 2 of which will use a 3D sketch as a trajectory. You can use the sketch conversion offered by @Lucas.

1 Like

Thank you for the answer,

Being a novice on solidworks, I didn't understand everything.

I transformed my hood with 4 functions of "convert to sheet metal", by checking keep the bodies, and this gave me 4 sheets. But now the edges of each sheet intersect and I can't put any play between them for assembly and welding between them

hotte.sldprt

Hello

In fact, you have to start from your volume shape (shell) and use the "Cutting" function in order to separate and obtain your 4 sheets that can be unfolded. In this function you select the edges and for each of them you can define the shrinkage (corners) for the welds by clicking on the small yellow arrows.

Kind regards

decoupe.png

hello JMsavoyat,

I tried your solution but it doesn't seem to work.

Thank you

@jmsavoyat, you manage to go all the way with this function and get 4 bodies? Like @syltab I get an error message (on SW13)!

1 Like

Hello

Why not first start with the complete volume (so we remove the shell), and convert it into sheet metal.

We define the top face as a fixed face, and we select the edges (we can adjust the overlap...)

Then you just have to remove the material to remove the top face (and of course we keep all the bodies). It may be necessary to extend the sheets to adjust the dimensions. 

For my part, I would proceed like this...  

PS: I did that very quickly... This requires additional adjustments:) 

hotte.sldprt
3 Likes

Hello

Indeed I hadn't gone all the way! I also have an error.

So I tried the @Benoit.LF solution and carried out the material removals by scanning in order to clear the cuts. Then I used the "Insert Folds" function for each sheet metal (you can't do it all at once).

I post an image of the resulting FeatureManager as well as the part in SW2014 format).

The solution proposed by @D40 seems to me to be very good and easy to implement.

Kind regards

decoupe.zip
1 Like

Thank you all for your time and useful information