How do you define what elements to include in a skeleton?

Hi all

Following my previous post where my project is explained ( http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/faire-une-conception-squelette-catia ), his advised me to divide my different questions which I do here.

So here's my third question:

How do we know which elements we should include in the skeleton? That is to say, to define those who are important and must be present and those who are not.

For example, for the moment I have defined that the forms that will change a lot would be  the following:

The wings, (We know we want rhombohedral wings)

The drift, (We don't know its shape or number)

The empennage, (We do not know its shape or number)

The engines, (plus we still don't know where they will be located)

The propellers, (we do not know the number of blades and their dimensions)

The shape of the fuselage, (we don't know if it will be cylindrical, rectangular etc...)

The landing gear, (we don't know if we will put them, or just helicopter-type metal bars).

Thank you in advance for your answer and for your time.

Kind regards

Ju"

As mentioned before the changes are not very difficult in my opinion, so the question of what to include or not can be relegated to the background. But still, I think that including as many things as we can seems to be obvious.
1 Like

Thank you PL for your (even your) answer(s).

Indeed, we are not sure of the final design of our "model".

Okay, so if I forget something (or need to remove) I can do it easily without too much trouble.

Thank you for your help

yes under Catia

Nothing is obssolutely set in stone

if you want to change everything is possible

The only problem is to do things well in a good order 

Above all, name everything well

@+ ;-))

1 Like

@+1 Gt22

Indeed, mastering the skeleton means mastering the parent/child links of the project.

Normally the skeleton is a reflection of the CDC and the designer(s)'s intentions for modifications.

When you move forward as you go along (without a CDC border, or when you don't yet know how to validate the orientations) it is better to structure your skeleton without necessarily trying to manage everything.

We create the references that implant the components (I usually create guides)

We create references that are important such as planes representing the contacts between parts, the axes (axes of rotation, guidance, etc.).

On the design side, we can sketch the curves, or even provide a surface (draft) that would be replaced by the real design.

The key to facilitate the reference replacement used by CATIA is the "Publication".

For example, I create a surface in my skeleton  Surface_sol_01.

Then I publish this surface under the name (Surface_Design).

In the context of assembly I copy with link (Surface_Design). In my target part, (fuselage). 

In case of design change, simply redirect the publication (Surface_Design) to the new floor (Surface_sol_nn)

Automatically updated geometry in all parts that reference (copy/paste/with link from (Surface_Design)) 

2 Likes