How to unfold a stl model as a pattern

Hello, I would like to make a metal sculpture starting from a low poly stl file to make it like origami.

I tried the Pepaku software which does the job well, but it doesn't give the folding angles.

Is it feasible with SW? Has anyone ever done it?

Thank you

gorilla_low_poly.stl
1 Like

Hello

I think I've already seen this project on the forum! But I don't have in mind who approached it!!!!!

Attached is a screenshot of  a similar topic.

capture.jpg

Hello

You just have to be careful when opening the file

Kind regards

PS: I haven't tested it but you should be able to use a .poly file directly without going through the STL

convertion_stl_vs_part__-_2022-01-31_19_08_44-window.jpg
gorille_en_stl__2022-01-31_19_04_42-window.jpg
2 Likes

As both are graphic files in two different formats, I confirm that you can go directly from a .ply to the sldprt

Note: once converted to SLDPRT, the volume object is not hollow, otherwise you would have to go through surface and then thicken each triangle

But the request was to be able to measure the angles of the pattern  ;-)  ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi, no problem measuring the angle! , I can't find how to develop triangles.

I open the file in surface to have a hollow body. and then I bogue.je m bad at the surface!

The idea would be to extract 2 or 3 triangles from save it in a file and develop the parts, repeat the operation on the whole gorilla and especially add landmarks for the assembly.

@+

Hello

For the similar topic, it's this one: https://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/low-polygone-projet-conseil-avis?page=1

For my part, I would proceed as follows:

Insert the part into an assembly, then insert the part (in place) on each desired face, retrieve the sketch (selection of the face and then convert it) and then give it thickness via sheet metal.

A long work but the simplest (in my opinion) to be able to have each sheet metal development afterwards.

2 Likes

Hello

Gloopssss it's   not clear!!!!

I thought I had answered the question ((pepaku software which does the job well, but it does not give the bending angles.

is it feasible with SW))

Then you say  ((no problem to measure the angle!, I can't find how to expand triangles.))

In any case, wanting to have the press is an illusion because if you look carefully as you have angles in all directions you will first have a lot of trouble getting the correct angles at the connections  since there are no parallel folds, which means that even if you work in strips, or group of five or six triangles, the fittings and welds will be  sporty. All this is all the more difficult if the folding is done by hand and welds on long edges are not a mille-feuille either (or not pie of your choice).

Good luck and post pictures when it's over ;-)

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello

I'm more comfortable with CATIA  , but wouldn't the flat order do the trick ?

mettre_a_plat.png
2 Likes

Hello

ZOZO; To recap.

Pepakura unfolds it very well and adds the markings but impossible to know the angle of the folds.

so I wanted to do everything with SW, finding the angles is ok but it unfolds not as easy and especially fast as pepakura

they should be merged;)

Franck; yes I did like you but I can't save the unfolding song in another file

Well, it's not won 

Hang tough....................

Good evening

And one more proposal, based on the gorilla imported in surface... In 4 steps:
- A "fold-out" selection of facets, to generate via a macro as many triangular flat surfaces in the native SolidWorks format
- a sewing phase to group these surfaces into a single one
- a thickening function to result in a sheet metal type volume object
- Finally, a flattening of the outer surface, with recovery of the edges as proposed by @franck.ceroux.

The advantage is to have the surface and volume of this group of veneers in the SolidWorks format.
On this basis, an attempt can be made to generate a sheet metal part, even if converging bends in the corners are a problem. We're going to have to dig around.
Knowing that there are about 400 to 500 facets on this gorilla, the design phase promises to be long.
As for the production, it will be the next Everest...

Template (v2019), macro and video attachments.

Kind regards

gorilla_low_poly2.sldprt
gorille.mp4
gorilla.swp
3 Likes

Hello, great you are too strong.

Thank you for the video, it's super clear.

well I have to try

Thank you

Hello, I just saw that the sheet metal command " convert to sheet metal " works if you select a single triangle and then two bend edges (the result is not great in terms of notching but hey).

On the other hand, often you can't select the third stop and if you get there, the unfolded is wrong ??  (bug or limitation ??).

Question why would you want to save in another file ??

I don't know anything about 2D solidworks but we must be able to draw a body or a welded part?

I want to save an unfolded part per file to send to the laser

It's great! Thank you M.bit for the video that allows me to make this model.

I followed your tutorial but I don't do any thickness, to have a perfect geometry otherwise the edges of the triangles are not aligned.

On the other hand, it's a titanic job...........

It's not over yet...............

Thank you very much to the whole team. I'm super happy.