How do you draw a material removal identical to a tube laser?

Hello

I made a little TUTORIAL in word to explain my progress in SOLIDWORKS 2015.

But worked on 2014.

creer_tube_coupe_normale_a_la_surface_solidworks.docx
1 Like

Hello

I haven't done the test, but couldn't the function of removing material by scanning a body solve the problem? (sweep would be the direction of the axis of the shape part)

1 Like

A priori the cleanest solution to be close to the result is:

1) To project the surface of the tool onto the outer (or inner) cylinder of the cutting cylinder. This gives a 3D intersection curve on the cylinder

2) From this curve we can make a scan of a straight line perpendicular to the cylinder following the 3D curve drawn on the tube (in practice this is what your laser does in your tube cutting machine: it is always perpendicular to the tube)

3) cut the tube with the 3D surface obtained in 2

In the end, it's long and tedious, but geometrically surely the most accurate technique.

The folded sheet metal solution probably gives a very similar geometry (but we have a nice vertical slot on one side)

NB: this can be buggy at the corners because sweeping the line can create a crisscrossing surface. In this case, put a ray (instead of the sharp angle in the sketch used to make the projection on the cylinder in step 1) and decrease its value until the function no longer fits.

Another solution is to make the cut in 2 steps:  the intersection of cylinder and then the vertical slit. This will eliminate the problem of angles

1 Like

I'm sending you the file under SW 2012

if you have a problem with the opening I don't understand I just did the test

it works well for me

@+ ;-))

piece1_test_decoupe_laser1.sldprt
1 Like

@dao2,

To save attachments (especially sldprt and sldasm) from Internet Explorer, right-click on the link, "Save target as" and in the file name that is offered to you, you have to change the extension that is offered in .htm. You must retype .sldprt in the case of the @gt22 part.

2 Likes

+1 @ Benoit

@+ ;-))

2 Likes

Hi all

Thank you very much for your answers.

I have tried a few proposed solutions, but I don't quite get the result I want.

From your answers, I realize that there are no real direct solutions, but that everyone has a different path.

I think the simplest, to be as precise as possible in my drawings, would be when importing the part into the laser cutting software, when do you think?

Thanks again

1 Like

It seems to me that most people offer solutions similar to what I proposed on the first page:

Hello

I think you have to do 3 functions:

Two extrusion material removals for the two circular parts (front and rear).

Then a removal of material by scanning driven by a 3D sketch (to be drawn on the tube) for the sides.

Sweep: 

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_FEAT_SWEEP.htm

3D Sketch:

http://tuto.elephorm.com/formation-solidworks/creation-d-esquisse-3d

1 Like