How do you prevent a machine tool assembly from lagging?

Hello

I design machine tools on SW2017 and during the final assembly which is composed of 1500 parts, my computer is at the limit of usable.

Configuration used:

32GB RAM

Intel core I7-7700 3.6GHZ

500GB SSD

Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1060

The "Large Designs" assembly has been used before but I can't do anything, just visualization.

I tried to reduce the image quality to a minimum but nothing helps.

Is there a special module to use to manage these kinds of assemblies? Or maybe we should do away with the screws?

capture.jpg

Hello 

In Display Style: Shaded Image

Or in display: show --> hide removed tangent edges

Hello Jvincent

There is no valid  reason either from the machine point of view or even the number of parts. I commonly have assemblies with  5000 pieces or more and I don't have any particular problems.

Check this out  and let us know if you have these same settings in Tools==>options==>Assemblies==> Opening complex assemblies.

Also tell us if you have moving parts (flexible subassemblies) or if your ASM is completely static.

Kind regards

2 Likes

I have these settings there:

(see photo)

Yes, I like to move the machine axes or a robot sometimes to see passages easily.

capture.jpg

I would say the graphics card, the GeForce GTX cards are gaming cards not CAD.

Look on this page for the "homologated" cards for SW: http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

5 Likes

Creating speedpack configurations in the subassemblies and using them in the head assembly seems to me to be the most effective for a performance gain.

2 Likes

Hello Vincent,

Have you tried the light mode? Right-click and then set the resolved parts to lightened.

3 Likes

Hello

The screws are also very heavy depending on how they were created. The best thing to do is to create configurations without screws in the sub-assemblies to be able to work more easily in the head assembly.

You can also create lighter configurations, by removing the subsets that you don't need to work. While keeping the complete configuration...

1 Like

Your assembly has 1500 parts or do you have several sub-assemblies? Breaking down assemblies into subassemblies relieves solidworks enormously.

But the graphics card seems to be the best of the tracks (+ 10,000 components on some assemblies)

3 Likes