How do I bring up the description of a SolidWorks file in Windows Explorer?

Hello

Currently on Windows 7 and Solidworks 2016 Premium x64, I would like to know how I can display the description of a Solidworks file (part) in windows explorer. I did take out the "Description" and "File Description" tab but neither of them work.

Do you have a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 Like

See this link if I understood correctly?

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/autres/faire-apparaitre-la-description-dans-les-fenetres-de-windows

@+

1 Like

Hello 

by changing the display mode it doesn't change anything?

2 Likes

It seems that the souis is not there but that the information is not displayed in these said circles

EDIT: Personally, I can only recover the following properties

Authors

Feedback

Keywords

Title

2 Likes

Hello gt22,

No, that's not quite my problem. I can put the description tab but nothing is displayed in it.

You can see the problem better by looking at the attached file. ;)

capture_explorateur_windows.png
1 Like

With this link perhaps?

http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-1271649-affichage-details-des-fichiers-sous-l-explore

@+

1 Like

We had the same problem under windows 7 the description of the files only appears if the part or assembly is not open in solidworks. On the other hand no more worries with windoxs 10

1 Like

To view properties on windows,

they must be created in the "General" tab (which is called Custom) of the file, and not in the configs.

Therefore it is impossible to make them appear for a config file.

And that's why Solidworks offers by default the "Description" property in order to stick to windows.

This is also the property that SW displays, when viewing the thumbnail of a file, in its Library panel.

4 Likes

Hello

+1 for olivier.wisniewski's answer

That's what we have to do

Enjoy WE

Sandrine

2 Likes

Hello olivier42,

Precisely, the properties are created in the "Custom properties" tab -> "Description". In addition, when I stay for a long time with the mouse cursor on the part (in the windows explorer) a small box opens indicating the description (see attached file).

sbadenis, trying to close SolidWorks the problem is always recurring...

capture_explorateur_windows_2.png

I had seen in the Windows choice columns, at home there are 2 "Description" boxes,

To vori on your side if you have 2, if so, try the other one?

Under windows 7, in some folders I can't display the "Description" column,

I activate the details display, but in the "Explorer" processes it goes to mill (80% CPU) at full blast.

This seems to be a Windows problem, which resembles the problem mentioned above (with switching to Windows 10 which solved the pb)

1 Like

yes I activated the two columns but nothing helps, it doesn't work.

I think it must be at the goodwill of windows... Some colleagues have the description of the file displayed, others don't...

In any case, thank you for your help! :)

1 Like