How do you remove material from a left-hand part?

Hello, on the attached file I am looking to carry out a material removal following the geometry of a left part.

they are couvertines (stone finishing the top of a wall).

On the assembly, the part named couvertine  corresponds to the geometry sought. However, on the piece called couvertine 2 I can't reproduce the desired shape.

For your information, I have Solidwork 2016.

Thank you 

Kind regards 

masson bastien

14-12-18.sldasm

Good evening Bastien

I don't know what your covers are made of, and I don't know if you can cut your covers with impunity to get the radius of 120 in your sketch 14.

If we disregard all the business aspects that you master and answer that for Solidworks then:

1°) On the parts that are straight, you proceed exactly as you did for the left ramp, which you succeeded perfectly. You just have to master the length of the material removal but you know how to do that.

2°) For the radius of 12 You have to use the "smoothed material removal" function. To do this, you need to make a starting sketch (like your sketch N° 15) and an arrival sketch with the same profile. Then you use a guide curve with the Radius of 120 (like your sketch 14).

Abstract: to make a "smoothed material removal" with a starting sketch and an arrival sketch and a guide curve having a radius of 120 mm.

If it's not clear, I'll make you a mini tutorial based on your parts.

I say mini-tutorial because I have the 2019 version which is incompatible with your 2016

Kind regards

PS: I don't know the degree of precision but if it's masonry it must be of the order of a centimeter. This does not prevent you from having a small error in your sketch N°24 which generates a small edge that will get you confused........ to do your "smoothed material removal"".

2 Likes

ok thank you very much, I'll look into it, and I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

Hello Bastien

I have a good look at the shape you want to make and which even if it is made in several pieces which are stones.

The advantage  of stones is that you can give the exact shape, unlike brick roofs which are always straight even cut to length.

As in MP I promised you a mini-tutorial so I was forced to make the play.

This is quite difficult to do and wanting to do it in volume with "Material Removal-Smoothing" poses serious problems for the guide curves.

It is however possible but the explanations are very complex and I don't know if you could reproduce them because it requires you to know SW very well.

I think this shape would be much easier to do on the surface. Unfortunately, I don't master this technique.
So I call on our friend and nevertheless colleague GT22 ;-) who is very strong in surface and who if -in his legendary kindness- had the kindness to say how to do it in surface we could compare the two methods and see which one suits you best.

In addition, I'm in SW 2019 so it's not easy to give my file unusable in the 2018 and lower versions.

That's why in the attachments there is a 3D PDF that allows you to see in volume, as well as an Edrawing file with STL.

Kind regards

couvertine_214-12-18__zz_v1.zip

Thank you zozo_mp for your help. I'll keep you posted, I'm starting the machining of the left part tonight. 

Kind regards 

Masson Bastien.