How to Make a Large Diameter Thread or Tapped Hole

Hello @toutes and @tous and @nos favorite colleagues

I would like to make threads with a pitch of 2 or 3 mm while it is impossible with SW. In this case I do both parts screw and nut

Do you have a trick other than making a smoothed boss-base with a coil and a profile of the pitch.

In the attached image, the pitch is made with the thread tool, which only offers a 6 mm pitch

Kind regards

PS: It's still crazy that SW doesn't offer a choice where just the pitch would be to be filled in according to the diameter (these have been the basics of filming for more than two hundred years)

filetage_au_pas_de_2_ou_3_mm_2021-06-01_11_44_41-window.jpg
1 Like

Hello @Zozo_mp 

I'm not sure I understood the question correctly, because in my case (SW2020) it is possible to tamper with the pitch and diameter of the thread function.

filetage.jpg

No method to propose.

I believe our dear @Zozo_mp is using the 2019 version. It seems to me that the 3D threading function appeared with this version, so we can say that it is in beta version :-(

1 Like

Hello @Pierre S

Thank you!

As it was grayed out I thought it was inaccessible (it's not the same logic as the piercing assistance)

Well, first of all,  you have to tell him that it's Tap for indoor or Die for exterior: but what bothers me is that he doesn't want to do anything below a pitch of 5mm for a diameter of 65mm. If I want a step of 2 or 3 and well rusk.

@toutes and @tous
Other issues that have already been discussed are those of MEP and fab in CNC.

For the MEP it logically gives me the 2D view of the thread so for the dimensioning should I put it in the form of a note or other ???

For the CNC is this 3D model or the DXF format interpreted correctly   (my machinist went bankrupt with covid and I didn't select a new one) 

In addition, I have only ever made standard formats for taps and threads with SW.

Thank you for your help dear colleagues and dear friends  ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi Zozo,

When you look at the function, it looks very much like a scan on a helix sketch (except that it doesn't draw the helix: it is based on the outer diameter (or  hole diameter) of your part.

In my opinion you just have to use one of the sizes that has the pitch you want and it should do it: I drew an arbe dia 30. The M30x2 and M39x2 have exactly the same machining profile.

For your M65x5 go for the M52x5.0 for example.

For the taps it's the "top": he does it by removing material so you have to work on the calculation of the drilling diameter by hand. And since Sw doesn't put any indication on the nominal diameters, we're good at sticking to the standard in order to make a hole that falls well. Congratulations solidworks for this flawless 'ergonomics'!!

Last but not least: the list of dimensions is not managed in the Toolbox's thread standards (or not in the same place anyway): a new file to find and set up if you want to make personal threads....

1 Like

Thank you for your answers.

Do you have an opinion for the MEP???

Kind regards

For the MEP, I would do 2 configs:
- one for 3D printing;
- one for the MEP (where the 3D thread is removed)

2 Likes

@stefbeno

Thank you!

It's not 3D printing but CNC since all the parts will be made of stainless steel

Kind regards

PS: I've never used the configurations because I only do One shot!

Hello

Without wanting to, I came across the location of the files that are used at first sight to configure the function,
These are library sketches.

emplacement_filetage.jpg
2 Likes