How to make a snake style ring?

Hello, I would like to make a ring of this style but I don't know how to make it or where to start.. Can you help me with some steps  that could unblock me. I know how to use solidworks but not asser to know how to make a ring by starting on a circle then hexagonal function but then I would like the body of the snake to move forward as on the picture, I don't know how to do it I had thought of doing it freehand then gluing it with a constraint but it doesn't look good :/

bague_serpent.jpg

Hello

look here this is an example of a piece that our friend and colleague @OBI WAN has made, it can help you.

2 Likes

Hello

This may be a starting idea.

may the force be with you.

obiwan.sldprt
3 Likes

Hello Grégoire Gam_1,

Responding to the challenge was tempting...
A proposal is provided as an attachment, for a finger with a diameter of 19 mm (in 2018 version). It essentially uses the volume functions of scanning and smoothing. With a helix direction on the left (and not a hexagon).
To adapt the dimensions to the hand of a delicate young girl , it will be enough to apply a scale factor.
The most difficult thing will then be to render the relief of the skin, if that is the intention.

Have a good weekend,
M. Blt

serpent.sldprt
3 Likes

Nice result.

I did not understand the question of the hexagon in the initial question.
One way to solve the problem would be to use the winding function (cf. pj in SW19).

For those who can't file it: make a sketch of the desired shape, convert it into a spline, extrude a surface from this spline (it is important that the surface is not composite), wrap a triangle on this surface. The base of the triangle is the length to be wound (i.e. the total developed length of all the turns) and the height is the total height.

Of course, you can only make one coil and then repeat it, but the problem of the connection will arise, if the length of a coil is not whole (e.g., I have arcs of circles in my section so my development will never be exact).

helicoide_section_quelconque.sldprt