How do you make a rounded groove around a cylinder on SW?

hello good evening 

I'm a novice in 3D modeling, I have some basics on SW but it's been a few days now that I've been racking my brains to make a rounded groove around a cylinder I would like to have your help to be able to move forward in my project.

I'm posting my plan to give you an idea of what it would look like.

Thank you in advance 

Have a good day / evening 

Kind regards 

21053054-f9f6-48b3-984c-1070aae25b5d.png

Hello

Removal of material by revolution + linear repetition seems to me to be the simplest ...

5 Likes

Hello

No better than Yves T,

1- Sketch an arc of a circle that you close with a line in side view, which you dimension as requested and which allows you to remove material by revolution.

2 - Linear repetition of the function.

The hardest thing for you will be to make this sketch and to dimension it properly;)

Don't hesitate to post us your essays so that we can see what's wrong with your method.

Come on, a hint: don't put the center of your arc on your cylinder;)

Have a nice day

Hello

- Either you make a sketch for your big Ø200 cylinder and then you make another sketch to make a removal with revolution

- Either you make a single sketch with the general shape of your part and you make a boss with revolution.

To choose from.......

Have a nice day

1 Like

Hello

To continue @michel.janicot's reflection, if you have the DWG, it's easy to get the sketch to work with it directly without redrawing anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVOnIMiGkCs

May the force be with you

2 Likes

I love OBI WAN's response:) She perfectly echoes what our industrial drawing teacher told us: the best cartoonist is the one who doesn't draw anything but copies everything...

2 Likes

It's a good method if you don't need to change sides, or decline the piece into a family of pieces otherwise you're quickly limited, you might as well redo it entirely.

On the other hand, one thing to do when importing a dxf/dwg is to check with a dimension that you are at the right scale  and unit of measurement, because it is not uncommon for a 2D to be not to scale or in inch. (supplier doc on the internet for example)

But hey in the case of our friend, I think that his exercise was to do the piece without dwg/dxf and that the teacher just gave a paper example/objective;)

In any case, we can't wait to find out if he succeeded:)

A change that it's not a screw thread XD (more fun :p)

3 Likes

There, he is lucky that there is a piece of cylinder left between 2 grooves.

What would have been really fun is to have a cone with an evolutionary helical groove. Vicious, me, but no, it's just an impression.

1 Like

I've always had problems with dxf or dwg recovery, thanks OBI WAN!

stefbeno I managed to make a helical curve on a cone but impossible to make it scalable for the time being, image if attached. If you have a solution for my personal culture.

capture-2.jpg

You know the story of the watered sprinkler, you have one in front of you!

I never needed to do it, I thought that a simple straightening would have been enough and bam, it gets stuck. SW doesn't say anything about the cause of the blockage.

So I'm also interested in some info to get there.

2 Likes

I found the solution.

In the smoothing material removal function there is a construction line parameter.

My principle is to draw a circle at the beginning and one at the end of the stroke of a different diameter and define my propeller as the construction line.

capture.jpg
2 Likes

@ Yves T I have another definition of a cartoonist.

it is the one that expresses a maximum of things with a minimum of strokes.

may the force be with you.

1 Like

It's simple but it's vicious.
I was looking to use guide curve.

1 Like