How to close an stl

Hello

I would like to modify several stl parts.

I would like to close them, in part and at each end, in order to improve the fixation between them.

capture.jpg
1 Like

Hello

I think you'll have to go through surface to close... Or work with several sketches and material removal, but the simplest would really be the surface.

1 Like

If you put a piece in a post we could see and send you back so that you can have an example...

1 Like

here is.

aile_2_d.zip
1 Like

Hello

here is the closed wing in Solidworks 2016 with notes in the room...

aile_2_d_manu.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

Well thank you, I'll try that.

diiity

1 Like

Hello

I just saw the file.

How did you close it, I tried by selecting a facet and creating a sketch but then I drew a polyline all around but it doesn't work in extrusion?

diiity

1 Like

I did a material removal from the bottom to have a correct surface like on the attachment and I just clicked on the clean face and sketched on it and selected it again then converted the entities then after doing the extrusion....

1 Like

Have you managed to reproduce it??? If so, don't forget to validate me as the best answer :-)

1 Like

No, I didn't manage to reproduce it.

I don't understand how you managed to remove the marière from underneath  and moreover to smooth the top???

On the other hand, I managed to close it by selecting a facet on the thickness and creating a sketch then using the line tool to join all the facets together and extrusion of about 0.5

1 Like

Here's how I did it.

aile_2_d.docx

Thank you for this tutorial but...

Until the import and the top plane, it's okay but then I don't see how you make it have a smooth surface.

I also don't understand why you remove 0.1 and add 0.8.

There when you import the STL you have a lot of small facets on the side, so it's hot to select them all to have the outline hence the removal of material from the top to have the 2 sides of the smooth wing to put the sketch and a clean selection of the contour. For the 0.1 it's to put back my removal of material in order to have the original dimensional again and the 0.8 it seems to me that it's the thickness of your wing...

In fact, I don't know how to  remove the facets of the top and bottom of the wing.

Here is my procedure:

-I import in volume with the information on the texture.

- I select the top plane, normal a and sketch

-I draw a rectangle of 0.1mm at each end

-I close the sketch and I remove this 0.1mm on each end with "through-both".

-I select the ends, I convert the entities one by one, I extrude to 0.8mm, my STL is closed but I still have facets on the top and on the bottom plus 3 or 4 facets on one of the ends that I couldn't delete.

Sorry I made a mistake in saving the name but the file is the right one

saumon_d.sldprt

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier_de_stéréolithographieFor the veneers we can't do anything because it comes from the file unless you can have it in STEP. See attached link.

yet yours is smooth, I tried with the same texture I don't get there

otherwise how to delete the small facets that are in the void in my file, we see them when I open them?

capture.jpg

For mine I just changed the visual aspect. In the workspace you have the eye and on the left the kind of square with the 2 colors, you unfold this one and you select the 2nd from the top and there you will no longer see the facets. 9:18 a.m.

Ok thank you

diiity