How to merge two intersecting volumes on solidworks

Hello, I'm a solidworks user, and I'm currently stuck on a project that is quite simple:

I say draw a 3D docking bank that has several angled faces, I have a sketchup file but too hard to exploit in .stl, I tried a lot of tricks picked up on the forums, but in the end I have to redesign these docks completely in order to get the faces of the parts out of the machining center.

So I started to draw in volume some faces, but I completely block when I want to merge two volumes in order to get their crossings and thus have my angles, I tried via assembly / combine, via pieces / sewn surfaces, I still can't merge two volumes that intersect, Does anyone have a solution to bring me? I'm attaching the image of the two simple volumes that I have to merge, thank you in advance

detail_entrecroisement.jpg

With the combine function

depending on the options

It works very well normally 

you have which SW version

Post your file

@+

1 Like

Hello

I have solidworks 2014, the "combine" function is grayed out, as well as attach,

The problem is that I'm starting from a surface sketchup file, so I have all the outer faces, but I have to add the thickness of my material, I'm just joining two faces to connect, but there will be several dozen in total

Part1.SLDPRT

I had to use the thicken functions, because I only have the outer surfaces that are usable, I can attach the .skp file of the total if needed to understand the project

20181120_banque_nord.skp

Hello

why make this part in surface via 3D sketches, if you create a plan and make your sketch then a simple extrusion for the 1st part then do the same for  the second...

1 Like

it's normal since your parts are in surface 

therefore impossible to combine

What do you want to do actually?

1 Like

I have to reproduce files from SketchUp identically but by putting the thickness of my materials on the existing surfaces, the easiest thing would have been for me to rework the .stl file by adding the thicknesses, but I can't rework the .stl either.

If I have to take everything back in extrusions it will take me a lot of time, but I think that's all I have to do

8.jpg

And from surfaces, would it be possible to change them to volume?

it is or your file

I'm sending you one of the files, the scale is not the right one, it's a tenth of this file, but still the impossible to change it!

20181120_banque_nord_essai.sldprt

The original stl or stekup D file

Here is the original .skp file, the scale should be 1/10

20181120_banque_nord.skp

And here's the second one, same problems for the scale, and I have to rework some facets on these two banks

20181120_banque_sud.skp

see this link which will allow you to convert your skp file to stl and you can import it into SW

See the import and export options to create volume directly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-CgwORD48

@+ ;-)

1 Like

thank you very much for the answers, I was already able to get the .stl file, but when I open it with SW, in volume, it gives me an error because there are too many surfaces, and therefore to open it in graph. SW graphics opens it up for me, but I absolutely can't work on imported surfaces, I can't hang drawings on them or anyone, is there an option for that maybe?

You need to recreate new surfaces

on each surface 

these new surfaces you thicken them (pay attention to the direction of thickness)

and saves each new volume in a file

to then recreate an assembly face by face

certain surface not being flat

you will have to optimize via flat surfaces

@+

2 Likes

thank you I'll do that, I'll keep you posted

Ok it works

you're missing some surface 

it will be to be optimized 

well I manage to recreate the surfaces in extrusion this time, but when assembling my parts, the combine and join functions are always grayed out, yet they are two new simple parts just an extruded boss on each...

capture.jpg

Watch my tutorial to see how to use the combined function .

1 Like