How do I insert a screw into a file part?

Hello

I would like to know how to insert a screw into a file where there is already a part, but I would also like to be able to choose the length and size of my screw.

TFHC M14x35 that I already have in "my toolbox".

Thank you

Hello

Once the piece is opened, make insert/piece.

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Inserting_a_Part_into_Another_Part.htm

On the other hand I don't know if it works with a part linked to a family of parts

1 Like

Hello

1. Open a part document, and then click Insert Part  (Functions toolbar) or Insert > Part.
  2. Browse to a part document and click Open.

The Insert Part PropertyManager appears.

3. Under Transfer, select any association of elements from the inserted part to include in the derived part. You can include things like custom properties, sketches, and model dimensions.

All items transferred from the inserted part are placed in folders below it in the FeatureManager Design Tree.

4. Under Locate Part, select With Move/Copy to set a location for the inserted part in the Position Room PropertyManager. 
  5. If you want to change the functions of the independently inserted part without affecting the original part, click Break Link with Original Part under Link.

You can also break the link to the original part later by listing the derivative part's external references and selecting Break All. Once the link with the original part is broken, it cannot be restored.

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Inserting_a_Part_into_Another_Part.htm

Edit: In the inserted part (screw in your example), you have to "list the external references" to have access to the configurations.

1 Like

Hello

Insert/parts (see attachment)

sans_titre.png

It's a derivative part, you can change the configuration by right-clicking on the derivative part and "List of external references" ;)

From the toolbox with a drag dropped and say yes for the piece derived from BATCH123

for me concretely

if you insert a screw in a part

it's more a part but an assembly

so made it in assembly 

to+ :-))

@gt22 I agree on the principle but if we say that the screw is welded in the part, we can not consider it as an assembly.

That's what I do for my inserts in my chassis. I make a derivative part with the inserts and it saves me from having a complex assembly only for inserts with a specific ref.

2 Likes

to answer you @ Gerald

In this case you do your part and screw assembly and once soldered you save a copy in part

since it is unmovable and the most problem

That's how I see it

and what's more, it doesn't change much on the time of the job

but at least you have the possibility to play with all the options

@+ ;-))

1 Like

@gt22 it's true, it's a solution. But the part insert can be modified or deleted in the derivative part while the part cannot.

It's a bit far-fetched I grant you

2 Likes

@ Gerald you are looking for me early in the morning at the beginning of the week and the weather is super nice ;-)

As you have saved your assembly in part of course you break the links of your screw library

Is this clear?

@+ ;-))

Yes gt22 it's clear and that's what I wanted to express. In part, you break the link.

As a derivative part you can modify the part you inserted. 

For a fixed element that will not vary over time, I will use your solution because it is simpler. For a chassis that I know I have to modify depending on the site (like changed an M8 to an M6 or added an insert or removed an insert) I stay on my position.

I remain in the perspective that each method has its advantages and disadvantages.

Come on, I'm really looking for you because I'm invited for a BBQ and I'd have a little thought for you while having my aperitif;)

2 Likes