How do I link a configuration to a configuration of a subassembly?

Hello

I've had some recent issues with SolidWorks because I was using flexible assemblies too much.

To overcome this (on the support of my dealer), I made configurations for the positions of my different elements. Nevertheless, I still have 2 sub-assemblies (2 cylinders) in flexible mode because I can't link the configuration of the cylinder (in or out) to the position of what's at the end (a door that is open or closed).

Could you tell me how to do it?

On the attached file: 

- A configuration when the door is open (so on the right), I want the jack to be completely extended;

- A configuration when the door is on the left (so on the left), I want the cylinder to be completely retracted;

The purpose is to precisely position the support of my cylinder so that it is the right size and that I am well abutted in the different configurations.

Thank you

verin_flexible.png
1 Like

Hello

Normally if you create configs in your jack, you can reuse them in your scenario.
Personally , I use it for drill casings for pre-defined lengths. (see attached image)
This allows me to create configs with different lengths.

Jerome

choix_config.png
3 Likes

The problem with this is that if I put my door in closed configuration, if my cylinder is not in the corresponding position, I will be over-constrained. I am trying to make sure that the closed door configuration automatically leads to the open configuration of my cylinder. 

How do you do this?

1 Like

What is the constraint that positions your door open or closed?

For me, it must be the position of the cylinder that gives the position of the door.

Your door is always attached to the jack clevis and when you change its configuration, the door follows the movement.

5 Likes

Hello, you need to create the configurations of your subassemblies. Door on the right open and  closed then door on the left open and closed. Then the cylinder in the open and closed positions.

When you do the final assembly you always created 4 configurations and you use the "configuration" function by clicking on the right button. And you choose the positions of your door in each case. Finally you insert the cylinder on a chosen configuration, then you choose its configuration (open/closed) finally you constrain it. You change the configuration and you make the cylinder appear using the "configuration" command, you uncheck the delete function for the cylinder. And you created new and different constraints. Otherwise he may have mistakes! But you can reuse existing constraints! Mistakes can occur mainly when your door is to the left and you pass it to the right and vice versa.