How do you change the height of a coil?

Hello, I would like to change the height of my coil (see image) I would like to know how to do it because I haven't found thanks!

(I used the helix/spiral and sweep tool to make the part)

piece3.jpg

Hello

Just modify the diameter of the sketch of the circle (edit: that of the base and not of the wire) taking into account the new value, in view of the information :o

4 Likes

Hello

In the construction tree of your coil, you expand the scan function, in order to see the curved function (helix/spiral) that you in turn develop, in order to see the sketch of the starting circle and you change the diameter of it.

2 Likes

When I change the Ø of the circle that allowed me to make my spiral nothing happens, the distance between the top and the bottom of my coil remains the same, I must surely be doing it wrong but I don't understand.

Here are some tutorials to better understand the creation of springs:(  )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5X-kZSmwr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6EXqdwQpfI

1 Like

After the modification shows a CTRL-Q or a two-tone shot. Maybe it doesn't take the modification into account right away, you need a little help from time to time...

1 Like

Hello, we need to update. ctrl+Q or the three-color lights.

You can also I think by right-clicking on annotations, allow them all in order to see your dimensions without going into the sketch and thus modify your dimension faster, while updating afterwards.

The dimension you show on your .jpg corresponds well to your diameter of the coils... So it's your sketch of a circle that needs to be modified as we say in the previous comments.

1 Like

Is the circle that defines the cross-section of the wire really constrained to the helicoid?

1 Like

After that, if it is simply the Ø of the wire that varies, it must be specified in the sketch of the section in the sweep function.

Otherwise maybe use the tutorial of @gt22 on quick creation:

http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/creer-un-ressort-variable-avec-deplacement-realiste-sous-solidworks.html

1 Like

Here is how my sketch is composed, you can see that the circle is of a larger Ø than on my final coil.

I tried the traffic light and the ctrl + Q but nothing happens.

@stefbeno the circle is very constrained in my opinion since it is the basis of my piece, I started from it to continue the modeling.

@Azrod thank you I'll look at it!

2.png

@Azrod the Ø of my wire (2.2mm) is correct, it's really the height between the bottom and the top of my coil that causes me problems

Hello

How do you do the Spiral Diameter with the SolidWorks 2016 scan function directly or do you create a sketch?

If it's the latter, in my opinion, you didn't constrain your circular sketch on your spiral.

@+

5 Likes

thank you all for your help, I finally succeeded (I deleted my scan, I removed my helix/spiral function and finally recreated it correctly, I may have made a mistake during the design)

Thank you azrod for the tutorials I'll keep them warm they can be used for me

Have a good day everyone!