How to get the desired safety factor

Hello

I have to design a hydraulic flange that has a minimum safety factor of 3 when a pressure of 500 bar is applied inside. see attached

I started with an EN-GJS-600-3 cast iron but I can't get the desired coefficient despite the many versions designed (increase of thickness in overstressed areas, addition of ribs, increase of fillets...).

As the results don't satisfy me (best social security coef obtained of about 2.3), I thought I would turn to other solutions. For example, an angled tube (made of steel for example) on which a collar would be welded at each end and which would be fixed with half flanges.

Do you have any other ideas or other solutions that you think could allow me to have a social security coef higher than 3?

Thanks in advance

differentes_solutions_de_brides.pptx

Hello

And by working on different materials?

Unless there is a constraint on this subject

there are 3D printing solutions with titanium for example

1 Like

There are no constraints concerning the material, but rather economic constraints. 

I'll try to learn about 3D printing thank you

I can't find the mechanical properties of the different materials used in 3D printing, especially steels... Do any of you have a link to share with me?

Hello

If you switch to EN-GJS-900-3 cast iron, you go from 600Mpa to 900Mpa and from 370Mpa to 600Mpa.

http://www.contifonte.fr/internet/contifonte.nsf/0/F6A3D2A60F557D64C1257474002C1816/$File/Nuances%20caracteristiques%20techniques.pdf

Otherwise, on design 2, I don't see why, you're less efficient than on design 1, since you added material.

S.B

3 Likes

On design 2 I am less efficient because the maximum stress is no longer in the same place. The maximum stress was at the elbow in solution 1 and at the fillet fillet in solution 2.

Yes, I had seen this type of cast iron, but for economic reasons, I was forced to use a cast iron higher than EN-GJS-600 only as a last resort.

Sorry, but I understand well and now I don't understand.

You have a fluid that goes to 500 bars.

It generates a maximum stress of 195Mpa in the elbow. (solution 1)

You reinforce on the outside, so without changing the path of the fluid, I don't see why the maximum stress exerted by the fluid increases.

1 Like

I can't justify the phenomenon concretely but when I add material in the elbow it increases the constraint in terms of connection leave. I think it's due to the fact that the cross-section decreases greatly at this level, which must cause a concentration of stress.

Again, I don't have any certainty, but that's the conclusion I came to when I saw the results.

On side 2, do you only put the flat support condition or do you add a condition for the fixing of the flange?

Then check the percentage when you put the display on the coef secu at 3.

On the 2 side, I put a plane support link but also an imposed displacement of 0.5mm according to the z-axis.

What do you mean by checking the percentage?

Hello

Sorry, I'm coming a little after the battle...

I only went through the document quickly but did you try to reduce the section locally, towards the center of the pipe for example? What is the constraint in this area?

The idea is that the imposed displacement on Z creates a couple in the room. In the 1st case, I think that the max stress comes from the fact that the bending of the tube is combined with the pressure at the elbow. In the 2nd case, the elbow is so reinforced that the bending no longer occurs at this point but is transferred to flange 1 which therefore becomes the weak point. Hence the idea that perhaps by relaxing the bending of the tube on a less constrained area, it would perhaps make it possible to better distribute the stresses and therefore to improve the safety coeff.

2 Likes

What is the reason for this 0.5mm displacement?

The flange+collar solution would perhaps allow to have the required flexibility.

Did you do the math without this trip?

The 0.5mm displacement is due to the dimensional tolerances of the parts on which the flanges will be attached.

Yes, I did the simuations without this imposed displacement and it logically reduces the constraints at the connection fillets, but it only slightly influences the stress at  the elbow.