How to optimize the performance of solidworks?

Hi all

So here's my problem:

During reconstruction, solidworks caps at 15% of its memory and resource... Which forces me to wait too long for my taste.

I work a lot in pieces (insertion piece in piece), a lot of splitting, combining/subtraction... Many files are linked to each other.

Here is my PC:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770CPU @3.40GHz

RAM: 32GB

64bits

solidworks2015 SP5.0

NVIDIA GeForce GTX660Ti

Is it normal to cap like this?

Thank you so much for your help!

Hello

To avoid this; I advise you to use the lock bar on the parts that you don't use or the functions. Unlock as and when you need it.

1 Like

2 things:
- SW does not exploit the multiple cores of our processors (hence the 15%)
- your graphics card is a card made for games and not CAD.

So, it's normal to plateau.

1 Like

Hello

I'm in the same situation with 64GB of RAM and a Quadro M5500.

My pc is an MSI and is certified for SolidWorks.

I would like it to use more power on the pc by having available.

Good evening@JF

Ben!      I must not have a very clear mind after a day of hard work, because I have trouble understanding this sentence.

""I would like it to use more power on the pc by having available."

See you later for other explanations on your concern, in particular what is bothering you at the moment and in what cases and who is exploiting whom.

Kind regards

2 Likes

In fact

In the middle of the thermal simulation calculation, I see that the proc is at 30% load as well as the ram at 20%.

Give the PC config completely 

CPU CGU RAM DD

coome say it our Friend @ Stefbeno

SW single-body work

and. Need a very high frequency mini 3.14 Ghz

and which of + is the largest possible cache memory

in general a xeon is preferable with its ECC ram

By searching the site there have been some quite conclusive tests in this direction

Once the parts are made Block Bar

Once assembled and well constrained to fix all the components

so SW doesn't need to recalculate everything

Here is already a good start to an answer 

@+

2 Likes

CPU: I7-6920HQ

Terms of Use: Quadro M5500

RAM: 64GB

HD: 512 SSD

The entire PC is Solidworks certified.

It surprises me that since then, SolidWorks has not evolved in the direction of multi-cores which are not new while the Simulation part does.

Hello JF-

I've said it several times, it's not tomorrow because who says multi-core says parallel computing and parallel computing is not that trivial to code.

Moreover, given the few million lines of code that SW must represent as a whole and given its link to the initial generator, there is no chance that it will ever be massively parallel. On the other hand, a better use of the graphics card is really starting to be felt from V2019 for large assemblies where ASM rotation is much smoother.

I also believe that you can take into account the remarks  of @AC cobra and @stefbeno and @gt22 also to use the lightweight components. There are all the techniques in the online help that can help you improve the speed you want.

Kind regards

2 Likes

I don't have a problem using SolidWorks itself.

I was just making a remark because I think they have more than enough means to work on it for a long time.

1 Like