How can the byte size of an assembly be reduced?

I have a big assembly to do at work.
The problem is that apparently, once the file size exceeds or approaches a lot of 1 GB, the registration fails.

How can I reduce my overall file size?

To reduce a SolidWorks file size, you need to reduce the level of detail and quality, i.e., reduce the number of faces that need to be handled in calculation.

After that, I know that the number of configurations doesn't help anything and especially the number of constraints (return of Visiativ following slow loading assembly and plan).

I don't think there are any miracle tools or tricks unfortunately.

Afterwards, you can open in light, it may allow you to have less trouble recording later.

4 Likes

Also some interesting leads here:

https://www.visiativ-industry.fr/gros-assemblages-7-bonnes-pratiques-ouvrir-solidworks-2017

- https://www.visiativ-industry.fr/ouverture-assemblages-complexes-solidworks

1 Like

Already fix your elements (part)

This will remove as many constraints as possible

Avoid screws, tool boxes etc....

Check out this excellent tutorial on managing large assemblies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai7iJNYQMI

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Also to be banned, elements imported in surface that are too detailed. I have this problem right now and it takes up a huge amount of space in the assembly. Prefer solid elements.

5 Likes

Nowadays, it is always necessary to link the saving of space by simplifying parts and assembly.

Cdt

3 Likes

It reminds me of a huge project I had to deal with and the Windows paging file was disabled.

I'd like to look at this side (virtual memory, also called swap file).

2 Likes

Totally agree with GT22: No screws it's too heavy to manage.

Then you have to make sub-assemblies and you can win in your parts, by limiting the number of functions (e.g. make a radius in your sketch instead of using the fillet function or prefer the drilling assistant function instead of repeating a hole).

5 Likes

ON THE OTHER HAND!!!!! Do not save in Parasolid, this considerably increases the file size! yesterday I did a test, I ended up with a 123 MB file, I still sent it by email, I just stopped it, the email still hadn't gone :D

I knew he wouldn't leave, but it's by doing anything that you discover new things!!  

2 Likes

I have a general assembly with 37 sub-assemblies.

If I put each sub-assembly with SW parts, I end up with an assembly that is too large.

I think that by integrating my parasolid subassemblies into my general assembly, I will gain on the overall size of my assembly.

A walkthrough perhaps?

if you consider that your subassemblies will no longer move

records them in parts or fixes all the components of these subassemblies 

it will simplify your assembly enormously

@+

2 Likes

Hello

And above all no "virtual" parts or assemblies ....

Kind regards

2 Likes

@G.: the maximum size for an attachment is 7-8MB, sometimes 14-15MB (depending on the email hosts/access providers). Beyond that, you have to go through solutions like WeTransfer (or equivalent) / cloud / ftp.

2 Likes

@stefbeno, I know but as I said, I tried to see if there had been any change on this side, but I suspected that such a large file would certainly not pass after :)

And you're right, in my company I'm limited to 5 MB otherwise it's Wetransfer.

Cdt

1 Like

Why not group several sub-assemblies into a sub-assembly that would also simplify.

I have a whole factory part in an assembly that includes 3 sub-assemblies per part of this factory and in each part 15 to 20 machines.

In all this part of the factory is more than 8000 components and everything opens perfectly.

The 1st level assembly is only 78MB since the assembly is cut into different sub-assemblies.

3 Likes

Hello

As @Antho pointed out, he surely has some good practices to steal here:

On the other hand, regarding the sending of large files, there are several services that can help you:

• Numsend : up to 2GB for free, data is stored in France.
  • myCADplace : some of you may know about the forum, it is a secure project place accessible 24/7 to collaborate effectively on your CAD projects. You exchange multi-CAD 3D files and office automation files with your customers, employees and partners in a private, partitioned and secure space. You can invite an unlimited number of collaborators. No CAD software is required to collaborate, visualize, and manipulate 3D models.

2 Likes

For the head assemblies (the one that contains all the subassemblies) of memory, a good way to do this can be to delete all the subassemblies before saving (so it unloads the memory components).  On the other hand, it only works if you don't have fun making an MEP of this assembly and if you don't have an EPDM that manages the prints of the different versions.

or make a config with "everything in deleted state"...

1 Like

Hello, question!!! For what purpose do you want to reduce the size of the assembly!?

Is it to send it to a customer/supplier?

Or is it a problem to manage the whole??? because suddenly the methods will be different and in fact the size of the files is not a problem at all!! large files can be sent and you can work on large files without having too much slowdown IF it is well done!

Cdt

1 Like

@G.: The basic question is apparently a recording problem.

A point that was not mentioned since the basic question was lost in the exchanges: what is the infrastructure (local / network registration), what type of network, EPDM or not...

2 Likes