How can you calculate a paint surface on an assembly?

How can we calculate a paint surface on a complex assembly where the different parts are not joined?

The objective is to have only the outer surface.

Unfortunately you will have to deal with the problem element by element and calculate the total surface area by adding each individual area.

I would have opted to create an envelope of the assembly and then measure the surface but with the non-joined parts it remains complicated in my opinion.

1 Like

Hello

If you don't like the result of Mass Properties Tools, a trick would be to save your assembly as a part, by selecting "Outer Faces".

So by opening up this part and doing Mass Properties Tools, you'll get pretty close to the exterior paint surface.

3 Likes
Hello, what software is it on?

The software is solidworks 2013

So I think that Benoit.LF's idea is the right one: to record only the exterior surfaces in the room.

Otherwise, there is this macro:

http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/macros/macro.aspx?id=341816

Which informs a priori a custom property of the total surface of the faces selected beforehand.

2 Likes

I have already done some tests by saving the assembly in parts by selecting "outer faces"

The problem is that some parts are not completely adjusted, so there are faces that are created inside.

The macro may be the solution, but I don't know how to use it.

I selected all the faces manually

I selected all the faces manually