How do you fold/bend dewclaws?

Good evening

SW2020. How can I fold these 4 lugs over the bonnet to get the profile drawn in red?

! [](upload://wyitx3hM4pNT3FGY1ld0sFqdyVM.png)

Thank you

plier_des_griffes.png

Hello

Here's the solution I had to a similar question, hoping to help you. Made with Solidworks 2016

ac_cobra_cylindre_pattes_pliees__vers_linrerieur.sldprt
3 Likes

Hello

I loved it and I still love @ac cobra's solution.

;-)  ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

I admit it's a good design technique despite the fact that (in real life) it's going to be complicated to make the piece.

Option 1 Bend the lugs first and roll is impossible.

Option 2 Roll first and you can bend the lugs anymore.

In addition, the press is somewhat wrong because you should take the neutral fiber to do your operation of unfolding the surface.

Hello

Thank you for the answers. Unfortunately, I can't apply this technique, nor the sheet metal functions, because my model is not a sheet metal part; It is only a model in volume bodies and is not intended to be manufactured.

If it's not possible to bend a part of the body (for once, Solidworks literally lacks flexibility), I'll try another idea which is to create my bent lugs on their own, then fuse them with the cylinder. Some will say that this is cheating, but how can we do otherwise with such restrictions...

Tree of my room:

Well, if it's only visual in your revolution, you just have to integrate a fallen edge, then remove the material to keep only the lugs, then make new extrusions to finalize your part.

2 Likes

It's not a sheet metal part so a simple boss by revolution with an adjustment of the desired angle and fusing the body, then a circular repetition and it's perfect.

1 Like

+1 if it's only for visual reasons, why complicate your life? You can model it as you see fit and not get stuck with the "how one makes" question.

" If it's only for visual purposes, why complicate your life? ": That's precisely why I was hoping to be able to count on a simple "fold" function to do this. Having to model it ultimately makes it more complicated, if only because of the calculations that have to be made to obtain a coherent result.

Thank you again for your answers. However, I tried my idea so as not to touch the basic revolution (and especially to forge my experience). But it is clear that it is not really good. Especially since because of the position of the lugs at 45° of the main planes, I had to add 2 planes at 45°. Even if she does the job... or almost; They create an illusion from a distance, but certain details do not make them credible.

From this point of view it is rather correct, although the length of the lug might deserve a slight reduction. Or not.

But on the following image we start to see the inconsistencies:

And appear very clearly with a top view. In green, the route that the deer should follow:

A revolution in the sketch of my lug is the cause of this, which I do not tell you. I could extend the revolution and apply a material removal following the path, but that complicates the story a little more...

Despite this, for fun, here is a preview of the result:

It could be satisfactory, but the imperfection does not satisfy me, I will apply the simple method of @ac cobra since the basic revolution, which will allow me to cut straight at the source.

Be continued...

clamps_rendu.jpg

@ronathan

"It's not a sheet metal part, so a simple boss by revolution with an adjustment of the desired angle and by fusing the body, then a circular repetition and it's perfect."

Alas, the circular repetition doesn't work on a different plane than the sketch (I find it stupid but anyway). Since the sketch of the profile of a lug is on a vertical plane and the repetition has to be done on a horizontal plane, it is not possible (at least to my knowledge; it may be me who is stupid). So I added 45° planes and applied symmetries.

Kind regards

plans.jpg

Another solution would be to go through a profile scan.

The guide curve would be the part of the outer diameter and the profile visible in blue on your last photo.

2-step solution

Do the same thing but stop at the rounding of your folds then straight extrusion should compensate for the conical effect

Kind regards

attached is the test part under SW2016

pliage_ergots.sldprt
1 Like

Good evening and thank you all for your methods.

I opted for @ac cobra solution, which is detailed here:

1) Inclusion of the fold in the Basic Revolution :

2) Create a new plane, draw and rotate a simple sketch on it, then Material Removal function:

... which makes it possible to obtain rectilinear lug contours:

3) Conversion of the remaining arcs into a sketch on the plan, then bossing/extrusion function:

4) Application of Leaves, if necessary, to mimic crushing:

There you go!

Section view:

PhotoView 360 rendering:

clamps_rendupv.jpg
1 Like

Visualize rendering (full in pj):

Once again, a big thank you to all. Problem solved.

clamps_rendu2.jpg