How to make a 3D texture on an injected plastic part (braided wire for example) for EDM machining

Hello

I would like to know how to make a 3D structure on a part surface (plastic injection process) to have, for example, a leather lens braiding or a carbon look or a structured look as you can see on car dashboards.

Thank you

Jeremiah

Hello

Could you post an image comparable to your piece (or the image of your object).

Depending on the shape, it will surely be necessary to go through the surface.

In any case, nothing impossible it seems to me.

Be careful not to use the word "aspect" too much because you can map an image that gives the illusion of the carbon fiber structure although the part remains smooth.

As you say 3D relief pattern, you will also have to take into account the problems of undercuts which are to be banned in plastic injection as you know.

Give us the overall shape of the object and especially the areas where there will be the embossing.

This subject has already been dealt with on the forum and our eminent colleagues, especially  @gt22 will find the links and surely also the tutorials he created it seems to me.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello before getting into this, I would start by contacting those who will make the tooling by (Machining, electro-erosion, laser sintering, chemical erosion etc) ????

There's no point in modeling in 3D if they won't use what you've created, a rendering or partial modeling can often be enough.

2 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your answers,

For the moment I don't have an image, I had in mind braided leather straps or a knurling for example.

I master the manufacturing processes of mold cavities, electro-erosion, chemical engraving and laser engraving.

My concern concerns the electro erosion since the 2 other processes are done in the footprint directly and not from the 3D of the part.

Let's imagine a left surface of an injected plastic part on which I would like to have a 3D shape that looks like a knurling along the entire length (and not necessarily across the entire width). The objective is to visualize the result and then make an electrode from the 3D

1 Like

Hello @Jtr-CH

With SW everything is pretty much possible 

with varying degrees of complexity 

a braiding is much more complex than a knurling

A wicker basket structure is also possible 

but it takes a while

A braiding is also quite complex if you want something very clean 

mastery of 3D curves

splines, sweeping and smoothing 

in volume and surface is a +

We go further in surface area