How do I retrieve the length of a profié in properties?

Hello

I design structures in assembly instead of the mechanically welded on Solidworks 2016 (use of the same beam several times, addition of brackets for joining irons...).

So each beam is a part and I would like to add a column with the length of each profile in my nomenclature, for this I would like to add a personalized property with the length of the beam.

Has anyone ever done this?

How should I go about it.

Gaëtan

Hello

Personal property that points to the length dimension which I guess must be the extrusion height.

On the other hand I don't understand why you don't use the mechanically welded?

@+

4 Likes
Hello Unless I'm mistaken, there is a list of the parts of the welded construction in the tables. Not the exact name in mind and not sw at hand but it gives the flow lengths for each piece.

Hello

I don't use the mechanically welded function because my structures are screwed connections of beams, so I have to make assembly plans with colors, I also have other parts to use in my structure that are not beams.

Welded list tables only work with the mechanically welded parts function which is not suitable for my use.

Gaëtan

For my part, I make frames in aluminum profiles assembled by screwing and I use welded construction tools. It's exactly made for it and it saves a lot of time (and it gives me the length of the profiles).

4 Likes

same for me @ PhilippeB

For this type of job, the welded construction is the walkthrough

in addition with a nomenclature that follows

as also specified @ Coyote

3 Likes
I'm definitely reading a little diagonally this week:) So I've already done this for packing case plans. From memory, you have to associate the lengths of the parts with a custom property and repatriate it to the nomenclature. I'll look at it tomorrow morning.
2 Likes

Hello Cyril.F

That's exactly what I want to do.

I can do it but only manually, I would like it to be automatic on all my parts.

Gaëtan

1 Like

Hello

If you've already done so, just save the room that already has it as a model. Either in .prtdot and there each time you create a coin your parameters will be there... Or you create a standard room with the parameters that you will modify and then re-save under after doing it as you need...

5 Likes

Hello

I very often mix the 2. I make my different irons using the welded construction, and then I make assemblies with them. Why not do the same?

1 Like

It's clear that welded construction is the ideal here.

1 Like

A mix between Welded Construction and Assembly goes well

2 Likes

Especially since the bookcases now work very well with the welded construction

2 Likes

Hello

As explained by ac cobra 427 , you need to create a template that contains the information you want in the custom properties.

If the length information is still from the same function or sketch, just pre-set the template with data of this type: "D2@Esquisse1@Pièce1.SLDPRT"x"D1@Esquisse1@Pièce1.SLDPRT"xEp."D1@Extrusion1@Pièce1.SLDPRT"

1 Like

Look, maybe you can take my piece as an example. you type the R in the designation property and the piece follows. you want the opposite but there you have an example which is under SW2 014 and it will be enough to reverse the  formula...

gabarit_de_cintrage.sldprt

Hello

Thank you for your answers, after a lot of research I can't do it automatically, I'll do it manually for each new beam.

Gaëtan

If you put a part in the library and you block it from read-only, then you edit the sketch of the profile as you want and put the formula as in attachment. The length will change automatically with each new extrusion of a new part... That's what you want???

tu_o.sldprt

Hello

But our answers tell you how to do it automatically, however, as I said and as other people have said, you just have a custom property that points to one of your dimensions, which can be a direct sketch or extrusion dimension or a formula in relation to other dimensions.

Why do you say you can't do it?

@+