How do you fill a solid?

Hi all

In order to create a small robot, I downloaded a . STL, which I managed (not without difficulty....) to modify into a STEP file. So I now have a solid, but the problem is that it is "empty", there is only the outline, so I would like to fill it to perform a shell function and create the internal structure of my robot. Anyone know how I can fill this solid? (I work under solidworks 2014 or 2016 mainly, but I also have Inventor etc).

Thanks in advance;)

Hello

There is not much we can do with an STL, the best would be to redesign...

2 Likes

It is currently a STEP file, with an outer surface drawn and considered solid ;) but the object is empty :/

If the faces are well joined then you have to sew the faces and check the option form a solid.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes

Can we do it with solidworks? When I go to the Insert>Surface>Stitched menu, it doesn't offer me to fill the object

Hello

normally he doesn't offer you to put the object back, but to create a solid as OBI WAN says , but it's the same thing. If he doesn't offer it, it's because there are unjoined surfaces and you have to fill them in to create a solid. 

1 Like

here

may the force be with you.

face.jpg
2 Likes

indeed I am trapped, my 3D object being a scan at the base, it must contain a defect.... Maybe by trying to smooth it out to find the flaw?

screen.png

You may want to check your surfaces.

Tools --> Evaluate --> Check

3 Likes

Hello

When you open file you select the type of STL file then you will have access to the import options and there you must have something to have solids. I don't really know what it's called anymore.

2 Likes

Hello

To follow up on Obiwan, you can delete a face, rebuild it with a filler and do the obiwan manipulation.

Here is a screen of the options for opening an STL file

ouverture_stl_s.jpg
2 Likes

Depending on your version of solidworks, you need to rebuild the creation tree (Feature Works tool)

to obtain a body

For the moment I understand  a step in surface

since it is impossible to import in volume

a walkthrough but depending on the complexity of the room there is a lot of work

it's to recreate x surface on this said step to sew these X surfaces

once all surfaces are sewn

if the goal is to create a thickness of skin 

it is therefore sufficient to thicken this said surface

and the volume will be created

@+ ;-)

1 Like